Asked on Jun 25, 2018

How to update old gold frames

Alison SavillLsherbachJanet Pizaro
+4

I have a painting that I’ve had for 20 years or so and spent quite a bid on a heavy black and gold frame that’s clearly formal. I now live in a mountann home but would like to use this picture. Do you have any ideas on update?
  • Dee
    Dee

Take the painting out and spray paint it any color that you want. The mat around the painting can be spray painted too or left alone, You would just have to tape it so no paint would spray on the mat. I love the painting.
  • Dee
    Dee

I would pick a color in the picture that you love. I myself would probably do a burnt sienna.
    Janet Pizaro

base it on you current decorating
  • Lsherbach
    Lsherbach

Agreed, remove the painting and the mat from the frame. I would then paint the frame any color you like. You can spray paint it, but I personally LOVE the many chalk paints that are on the market, and painting with a brush would give you more control (you might want to keep the black inset). You can also paint the mat a coordinating or contrasting color.
    Good Luck!

• Alison Savill
    Alison Savill

Burnt sienna with crackle glaze