Garden Sign Made From Scrap Wood

119K Views
I am having fun as I continue to work my way through using up some scrap wood that was in my garage. This piece was a remnant from a dresser drawer bottom. It was going in the fire pit if it didn't get used, so I decided to use it to make a garden sign instead.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
The sign won't be framed, so I decided to give it a border. First I roughly painted a border in black.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
 After it was dry I taped it off with painters tape.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Then I filled in the center area with my base color in white.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
My sign will have a "honey" theme, so to add a little dimension with a honeycomb effect, I brushed some paint on a piece of bubble wrap.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Then I pressed the bubble wrapped onto the board.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Next I pounced black paint over a beehive stencil to create a shadow effect. I couldn't find a link to the exact stencil that I used, but this one is very similar (affiliate link).
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
This is how it looks after the black was applied.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Then I slightly shifted my stencil up and over before I started my main color.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Using brown and yellow acrylic paint, I pounced the paint on randomly. I mixed the paint to create different colors and layers.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Ta-da the beehive portion of the sign is finished! Now it's time to add some letters.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Next I moved on to adding my letters to spell out "Local Honey". (Affiliate link to the actual stencils I used for this project is HERE.) I used a piece of painters tape as a guide for the bottom of the letters. Then pounced the paint over the stencil. To speed things up I used my hairdryer to quickly dry the paint before moving on to the next letter. I also stenciled in a few bees which you will see in the "after" photos. I did a light sanding with 220-grit sandpaper to roughen up the sign before I applied a sealant to the paint.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
It was such a beautiful morning that I decided to stage my sign outside in my wildflower garden. I still need to attach hangers to the sign, so for now I just propped it up. I think I will drill a couple of holes and run a wire hanger through it.
The bright morning sun made it a little difficult to photograph some of the background colors, but I hope you can see them.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
Here are the little bees that I stenciled buzzing around the beehive. I was hoping to capture a live bee buzzing around in the photo, but no such luck.
  • garden sign made from scrap wood
I hope you enjoyed my "local honey" project! I'd like to invite you to stop by my blog, to see more photos of this project, or just browse around and see what other projects I am working on.

My cost was mostly zero because I used leftover materials that I had on hand. Your cost will vary depending on what products you need to buy and how many colors you use.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 15, 2018 10:13 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Patricia