Garden Sign Made From Scrap Wood

$10

I am having fun as I continue to work my way through using up some scrap wood that was in my garage. This piece was a remnant from a dresser drawer bottom. It was going in the fire pit if it didn't get used, so I decided to use it to make a garden sign instead.
The sign won't be framed, so I decided to give it a border. First I roughly painted a border in black.
 After it was dry I taped it off with painters tape.
Then I filled in the center area with my base color in white.
My sign will have a "honey" theme, so to add a little dimension with a honeycomb effect, I brushed some paint on a piece of bubble wrap.
Then I pressed the bubble wrapped onto the board.
Next I pounced black paint over a beehive stencil to create a shadow effect. I couldn't find a link to the exact stencil that I used, but this one is very similar (affiliate link).
This is how it looks after the black was applied.
Then I slightly shifted my stencil up and over before I started my main color.
Using brown and yellow acrylic paint, I pounced the paint on randomly. I mixed the paint to create different colors and layers.
Ta-da the beehive portion of the sign is finished! Now it's time to add some letters.
Next I moved on to adding my letters to spell out "Local Honey". (Affiliate link to the actual stencils I used for this project is HERE.) I used a piece of painters tape as a guide for the bottom of the letters. Then pounced the paint over the stencil. To speed things up I used my hairdryer to quickly dry the paint before moving on to the next letter. I also stenciled in a few bees which you will see in the "after" photos. I did a light sanding with 220-grit sandpaper to roughen up the sign before I applied a sealant to the paint.
It was such a beautiful morning that I decided to stage my sign outside in my wildflower garden. I still need to attach hangers to the sign, so for now I just propped it up. I think I will drill a couple of holes and run a wire hanger through it.
The bright morning sun made it a little difficult to photograph some of the background colors, but I hope you can see them.
Here are the little bees that I stenciled buzzing around the beehive. I was hoping to capture a live bee buzzing around in the photo, but no such luck.
I hope you enjoyed my "local honey" project! I'd like to invite you to stop by my blog, to see more photos of this project, or just browse around and see what other projects I am working on.

My cost was mostly zero because I used leftover materials that I had on hand. Your cost will vary depending on what products you need to buy and how many colors you use.

Patricia

• Lovesunique

Re the bubble wrap. Do you deflate before painting? When you put the final coat on does that protect the wrap from tearing...or does it even get damaged?

• Terra Moats Strait

The bubble wrap is used as a "stamping" tool. The actual wrap doesn't remain on the board.

• Thi9416588

i want to try redoing my office space for my hobbies jewelry sewing painting projects wood projects just love being creative any ideas for a jewelry theme for setting up an room just for me to work in?

• Suzanne

I love your sign! Better yet, I would love to have some raw honey! Where are you located and would you consider shipping some?

• Joyce Gurule

If you want raw honey it’s best to buy it locally because it contains pollens from the area in which you live which helps with seasonal allergies kinda like a flu shot for allergies makes your body less sensitive to them. Just thought I’d let you know that.