Asked on Jun 26, 2018

Best backspash and paint for kitchen redo? Help!!

FlipturnBreniLaura Cooper
+4

i want to lighten up the cabinets and add a backsplash. I’d mike to incorporate black, white and blue for the backspash. I love the subway tile look! We don’t have the money for all new cabinets or fancy tile backsplash. Help!
  • Bijous
    Bijous

Hi Breni, One problem that is always in a kitchen is inadequate lighting. That can leave you feeling ugh! because it's hard to see. Before you do anything else, add under-the-cabinet lighting and pendants over the 3 free-floating cabinets. Lighting has come a long way and there are battery remote control lighting that can be installed without an electrician. As for a back-splash, make a subway tile stencil out of cardboard and use plaster to build up a faux tile back-splash. You can then paint the tiles any color you want. Good luck.
    • Breni
      Breni

Thank you! I didn't even think about lighting. ;) I'll try that.
  • Ede Graves
    Ede Graves

use mirror for backsplash. It’s inexpensive, modern and easy to clean
  • Breni
    Breni

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

For the cabinets, clean, then prime with Kilz and paint with latex enamel gloss paint. You will need two light coats of the paint, but this process is durable.
    For the backsplash here are two ideas. 1) plain white tile is very inexpensive. Install your tile with inexpensive tile and then insert just a few special tiles randomly for color. 2) put art on the wall or paint your colors/designs directly on the backsplash area then cover it with glass
  • Breni
    Breni

Great ideas!
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

The first thing I too thought about when you said your kitchen is dark, was lighting. From the pictures I would guess that you have pot lighting (?) which is fine if you are directly under where the light is shining, but if not, you are always in the shadow. The bulbs are most often halogen, which is hot and harsh, or incandescent which has a dim yellowy tone. Check into getting either installing LED integrated fixtures, or LED lightbulbs, which cast clear, clean light. Do not get xenon bulbs as they are hot, and very expensive to replace.
    Your cabinets look like they are in good condition and quite new. They are what many folks can only dream of having in their kitchens. I would dissuade you from painting them, as this is a great deal of work that may lead to less than attractive results.