Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Painted Scallop Tile Floor Makeover Project

$85
1 Day

Imagine, NO demolition and NO mess! Most people are totally surprised when I tell them that I can paint over tile. But there are a few things you should know before you get started.
painted scallop tile floor makeover project
This was the existing floor. The design was not centered to the elevator door, and it just threw the entire room off. So instead of drilling out the tile and creating a huge mess, my client called me to work my magic with paint.
This was the pattern we selected from Royal Design Studio. The reason we picked this one, there were no lines that would make your eye follow a pattern. Plus it had a nice even flow.

First I taped off the floorboards with blue tape and brown paper.
Then I used an electric Sander and sand floor with 150 grit sandpaper. 
This will give it what is called a “tooth” which basically means it helps make the primer stick.
Next I cleaned the floor with TSP. Be sure to remove all the dust otherwise your paint won't stick properly.
I then primed the floor with 2 coats Stik Primer.
I applied 2 coats of satin paint. (This is Benzamine Moore American White)
Feel free to use whatever color you want.
I like working on the large section first and then doing the sides. The stencil used on this floor was Spanish Lace Scallop. The stencil color Benjamin Moore Stormy Monday.

Lastly I sealed it with 3 coats of Polycrylic clear coat. Now that you've seen how easy the project is, you’ll think twice before you rip out your tile floors. This tile floor makeover saved a lot of money; total cost $85.

Click on my blog link for more details on this project plus a tutorial video!
👇👇👇👇

Subscribe to my emails to learn about my current projects and follow me on Facebook at @creationsbycherylphan for more tips!
Cheryl Phan

• Char

Did you rinse after cleaning with TSP?

• Sandy Fink

Can you do this if your tile are squares with grout lines

• Cheryl Phan

I don't see why not. You can have a stencil make to fit the exact size of y our tile so you don't have to worry about matching it up. Then you can go in and paint the grout lines.

• Liz Gutie

What do you suggest for someone who wants to change the color of bathroom wall tiles that are pink? Can this method be used on bathroom tiles and withstand humidity?

• Cheryl Phan

I don't see why not. Just make sure you apply a clear coat after you paint it.

• Cheryl Phan

There wasn't any grout lines. The tile where close together. Not all tiles have a grout line.

• Vivian

That was less mess sorry!