Ouina
Ouina
  • Edinburg, TX

Refinishing a dining room table

I took an old laminated, oak finish table dated from the 60's but good bones dining table and refinished with an updated look. What do you think? It's my husband's parent table and he did NOT want it around. But after the redo he changed his mind.
Table base before starting.
Table base before starting.
Table top just starting. I began by sanding very lightly with 220 grit. Followed by a coat of mahogany polycoats stain. Let dry 24 hours.
Lightly sanded the base with 220 grit and painted with Glidden Gripper white primer/sealer.
First coat of Valspar "mossy bench" paint/primer. 24 hours between coats.
Sanded and applied second coat of Miniwax Polyshades. I applied 4 coats each time lightly sanding between coats and wiping it free of dust with cheesecloth.
Base with two coats of the green paint. This paint was left over from painting my bedroom!
Applied a color wash of a gray to soften the green and give it an aged look. 6 parts glaze mixed with one part sample paint bought at Lowes called English Tea Party.
Three coats of Minwax Polycrylic (sanding lightly in between coats with 220 grit) and reassembled for use in my breakfast room! The orchid is one I've had for 5 years and started blooming last month. Had to show it off too!
refinishing a dining room table, painted furniture

• Rpj2030880

Beautiful table! Like the green against the wood. What 4 polyshades did you use? Thanks.

• Ouina

I think it was Kona. The darkest shade Lowes carried.

• Ruth

Do you think a white laminated table top could be done like this? Maybe start with a brown spray paint first? Or use the white and wipe a finish to make it looked pickled?

• Ouina

I don't see why not. Just sand very very lightly so that the first coat adheres. But don't sand through the laminate. Then use the brown spray paint. Depending on the color you want as a final look - use the number of coats to achieve. Sand lightly between paint coat applications. Lots of luck. My table has held up really well and I have had no problems with wear and tear.

• Glenys

Using chalk paint would give a better finish on laminate.

• MaryLou Barrera

I think it's beautiful! Did you use a brush or cloth to stain it and the poly was a brush on or spray? Also, you mention 4 coats of minwax polyshade and 3 coats of minwax polycrylic, is that correct? Thank you.

• Ouina

I used a brush - a really good one. Poly was brush on. Yes to the 4 coats and 3 coats. Haven't had a problem with heavy use since I completed this project. BTW - be sure to lightly sand between coats.

• Laura

I have tried polyshades on a laminate table top but it feels gritty. I lightly sanded between coats & it feels smooth after sanding but not after applying the polyshades. Any tips?

• Ouina

I put down 5 coats of the polyshades to get a smooth coat. I also applied three coats of polycrylic to protect the finish. The polycrylic really seemed to smooth out the surface. You do have to lightly sand with very fine sandpaper between each coat of polycrylic. (did you lightly sand the laminate? This helps as well.) Good luck with your project!

• Kim

Which grit sandpaper did you use to "lightly sand"?

• Kim

Sorry, I found the answer. I do have another question though. How do you do a color wash? I'm not familiar with that technique. Thank You! Your table is GORGEOUS!

• Ouina

Thank you for your kind comments! I color wash using paint and glaze. I mix one part paint to 6 parts glaze. Using a brush, I brush on the mix and wipe off excess or where I want less color wash contrast. Usually the color wash mix will settle in the cracks and crevices creating a "darker" color wash. I hope this helps!

• Robyn

I have my grandmother's Hard rock maple table - came from Tell City Furniture- I would like refinish. The top seems to have a laminate finish on it. Can this be sanded down and stained?
    • Ouina

I wouldn't advise sanding down laminate. You would probably sand through the laminate and into the glue. There are many shades of polyshades - you might find one that you like. You can also just add wood on top of the top and stain/refinish that instead. Google what you want to try and there will be a lot of blogs and other advice. Lots of luck!
    • Robyn

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
  • Joan

What is a color wash of gray, what product and how was it applied?

• Ouina

6 parts glaze to 1 part paint. The paint was a sample from Lowe's called English Tea Party. Brush on and wipe off the excess or where you don't want as much. I let it settle in the cracks and crevices so it is darker there.
  • Lydia Concepcion

the top is laminate?
  • Jeni25

You table is beautiful. 👌👍
    About to give it a try.

Question please.

Refinishing a dining room table photo 2 above you said,

"Table top just starting. I began by sanding very lightly with 220 grit. Followed by a coat of mahogany polycoats stain. Let dry 24 hours."

- The mahogany polycoats stain, is that a Mimwax gelstain?

- Do you know the name of the product?

I'm confused about that first step stain and the the 4 coats of Mimwax polyshade you then used. Two different products?

Thanks!
    Jeni

• Ouina

Jeni - so sorry for the confusion. All coats were the Minwax polyshades - found at Lowe's. Its a "stain" gel coating product. You really don't stain the wood with this product which works great for the laminate finish. A true stain product won't actually stain laminates - only wood. I did four coats as I wanted a really dark look and something that would last for years without wearing off or chipping off. It hardened up nicely and then I protected with polycrylic (4 coats as well) - which is a clear coat finishing product for more protection of the finish. It has been a couple of years of use and has held up well.
    • Jeni25

Thank you for still answering!  So helpful.
  • Mar

Very nice!!

"Base with two coats of the green paint"

Can you please tell me what color it is.

• William Neil Plowman Jr.

Im not sure if my table is laminate or not....its not solid??

Also your step says three coats of polycrilic...is that just the base or all over??

thanks

• Ouina

The tabletop was laminate only. The rest of the table is solid wood. So I used the polycrylic all over - two coats. But the tabletop received more coats as it would see heavy use. It's held up well - gave it to my daughter who has a two year old!

• Sally Wiese

There are tables in a restaurant/bar in town that has all their tables, AND THE BAR TOP AND FRONT, made from pallet boards. All have many coats of "Polyurethane" on them and it is unbelievably beautiful. All different colors of original boards, not sanded ---because the tops are coated heavily in the poly. The base is plywood, I would assume, and then the pallets on top and the polyurethane. You have to see this because the beauty is unbelievable. I sat in awe. That was the first time I ever heard of this and seen it. Now everybody knows about this and are doing so many different ideas with them. Give it a try. You just have to be careful not to get brush marks and air bubbles in the polyurethane and allow time for the coats to thoroughly dry after each coat.
  • Joanie

This table is so pretty and looks so strong......great job!!