Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

A Dresser That Sat On A Front Porch Gets An Easy Makeover

$50

This solid wood dresser was a steal at a yard sale. I actually got a better price on it because I bought two old dressers from the sale. The people I bought them from said the the dressers were on their porch for a long time. They wanted to make them over, but never got around to it. I was happy to take on that job for them.
The front of the drawers were in great condition, but my husband had to repair the top of the dresser. It was split so he had to glue it and nail it in a few spots. It also looked like someone had set something on top of the dresser that left a residue on the top. 
After my husband got the top fixed, I started sanding the top of the dresser. I used the sandpaper and it removed the residue on top. 
Since the drawers were in such great condition and I love the look of paint with wood, I decided to leave the drawer fronts alone and paint the rest of the solid wood dresser.
I chose the color {aff} “ Palmetto” From Dixie Belle Paint. I love all things green and I couldn’t wait to open this color and see how it looked on the dresser.
I used one of my favorite paint brushes from Zibra Paint – the {aff}  Palm Pro. This brush is one of my DIY loves. It fits in my hand perfectly and I feel like I have all the control when I paint with it. If you are looking for one paint brush to do any and all of your painting projects, this is the one. 
This dresser looks brand new. It has come a long way from living on the front porch. A little sanding, paint and a few repairs was all this dresser needed to become beautiful again.
To see more about this project and other projects we are working on, head over to the blog!

Lindsay Eidahl

• Angie

I have always loved the older pieces,. It still amazes me what some might do to these pieces to fit the latest “trends”. Was very relieved to see what you had done. I too had stumbled across a PAINTED dresser that I wanted to sand in the worst way. Once i had started, I couldn’t believe what beauty was underneath. I used clear polyurethane to protect it. Just need to add some peel and stick inside drawer to complete. ( bottom drawer had stains, sanding brought out the smell of strawberries after all this time!) BONUS!!

When in doubt, let the piece speak to you.. Don’t worry, you will hear it. Just don’t tell others!! Lol

• Debbie
    12 hours ago

that turned out nice