Quickest Way to Clean Furry Furniture

$0

We have 2 cats - one short hair and the other long hair and they both contribute to having incredibly furry furniture. They love to sleep on the top of the recliner or on the the sofa. I usually defuzz everything a couple times a month.

But sometimes I need a quick clean because someone is coming over so I frantically look for the PET HAIR REMOVAL TOOLS which never seem to be where they should be.

I tried tape to get the fur off. It takes alot of tape!
I tried a lint tape roller. Similar result as tape.
I tried a pet hair and lint remover brush. It works but takes alot of work and leaves some behind and for some reason is always not where I leave it.
I could vacuum it with the special attachment on the vacuum but it is a pain to get it out, attach the tool to clean and put it away. Not quick at all.
Here is Annie. She thinks she's innocent in this problem. She's not.
This is the top of the recliner. The seat and arms are furry too as is the couch and loveseat but I know it will only take me a few minutes to clean.
Take a washcloth and get it wet, then wring it out.
Wipe the damp washcloth across the furniture which will pick the fur up easily. I shake it outside or in the trashcan. Repeat till done. It's so quick!
This is so easy I don't know why I thought I had to spend money on pet hair removal tools. No more sticky paper peeling rollers and other misplaced cleaning tools. No more lugging the vacuum out and trying to remember how to attach the tools.

A washcloth and water! Who knew?!
An extra step for those who need it----
If there are odors or stains on the furniture you can lightly spritz a pet product like this or Febreze on the washcloth or directly on the furniture.

But honestly the washcloth wet with water is usually enough. Which translates to free. Gotta love that!

• Redcatcec

How do you get the hair off the washcloth?

• Dorothy Carnahan

I also brush our two cats daily ...at their bedtime. Then they get kitty treats. Our routine & they love it. (I do, too, because I'm really a crazy cat lady!) It reduces the shed cat hair to almost nothing. I've also been told that a damp sponge (reserved for this purpose) does a great job.

• MaryAnn

I have Mika & she has favored places. There are afghans strategically placed to collect her hair. They whip right off and launder well. Fabric softener takes care of the hair. She's a snuggler and likes to huddle down into a blanket or Afghan, rather than sleep on bare cushions, so it contains the mess. If plain water isn't quite enough try adding a few drops of fabric softener to it first, it neutralizes

static cling so the hair releases more readily.

• Barb

Though I mostly agree with your methods, I dogsit with a beautiful girl who is a shedding machine. The washcloth works on some but not all fabrics and believe me, she sits on all of them! You can see hair fly when she shakes. Though not my dog I, too, brush her but it never stops. There's a special place in heaven for all animal lovers(I hope!).

• Susan

Hi Barb , Sounds like the owners should bathe and groomtheir dog or bring her to get professionally groomed. I worked with a pet groomer in the past and we groomed many dogs of all types and sizes. We would bathe the dog and use a handheld firm rubber scrubber ( most pet stores would carry these ), it gets down to the dogs skin when wet and once lathered up, we would wash the dogs and they loved it because in all reality, they were getting a free full body massage. When we began to rinse the bubbles off, we would start at the back of the head and with one hand holding the spraying hose and the other hand holding this scrubber, we would stroke the dog from it's head to tail, rinsing the dogs hair. This scrubber being rubber would pull the dead loose hair along as we rinsed. You wouldn't believe how much dead undercoat would come off. Now comes the best part, after the dog was rinse off well, we used a machine that was called a Metro Dryer ( it basically is a force air dryer without heat) very powerful. Starting at back of head we would blow the excess water off the dog, to hasten the time to dry it;s hair w/ the hot air dryer. It would literally blow off any of the loose dead hair that remained on the dog, plus almost dry the dogs coat. I believe if this dog you house sit with had this done when needed and thoughly brushed every week, you wouldn't be bothered by it's hair. It would be well worth it. Good luck, Sue