A Permanent Flower 'bed' for My Backyard

$12

A quick concrete technique that's easy to do for lightweight stuff

Here's a brass-look bed headboard/bed frame I got on Facebook for $5. I brought it home and removed all the extraneous bolts, caps, etc. The wrought Iron style I was hoping to find were going for $200  locally, so I passed and went with this.

I found a spot along the fence where it would fit and measured the width of the posts. I threw a bit of black bbq grill paint on it to see what would happen. I wasn't happy with the results, but the look is still ok. The dark paint will help the flowers pop.

I dug two shallow holes for the legs 8" or so, and then cut away the sod in front of it. My goal is to have varying heights of flowers front-to-back (foot to head?) and so I started in the 'back'.

I dropped the headboard frame into my holes. I had a leftover bag of $7 mortar from another project, so I poured dry mortar into the hole, only filling about 1" or so. I always wear gloves around this stuff.

Add water slowly until it's completely wet. Repeat with 1" of dry mortar and water, again and again until you reach the level you want. You could use concrete, mix, or concrete/sand blend, or whatever you have around.

I sturdied the headboard frame overnight with a scrap 2x4 so it would remain vertical/plumb until the mortar hardened.

Here's the left side hardened the next day. This isn't fence-strong by any means, but will hold my ornamental display for years to come, and should I ever sell the place it will be easy to remove.

I got some seeds off ebay cheap, and thought I'd try growing from scratch. I threw down some topsoil, a handful of seeds, more topsoil, and a bit of red mulch to keep the rain from disturbing the seeds.

Here's the flower bed along side my chainlink fence. Eight weeks later the Celosia are about 30" tall, and just starting to bloom. I placed a few bedding plants along the side. I hope you approve

• Ruth McAlpin

Do you worry about the legs rusting in the ground? I love the idea . I want to do the same if I can find a cheap but beautiful gate.

• Jim Cox

Realistically, I expect to get 5 to 8 years out of this. By then I will have changed my mind and or done something new

• Phenonw

Love the head board for your flower bed. I would like to try this but I would use concrete blocks & put 2x4s on top to make it look more like a bed. One of our friends did this & they also had the foot board too. Looks great!

• Gert Domber

I HAVE A DAYBED IN THE GARAGE, $300.00, I THINK I WILL PUT IT BACK IN THE EXTRA BEDROOM, HE HE HE.

I LIKE YOUR IDEA, LOOKS GREAT