Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

A Permanent Flower 'bed' for My Backyard

$12

A quick concrete technique that's easy to do for lightweight stuff

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

Here's a brass-look bed headboard/bed frame I got on Facebook for $5. I brought it home and removed all the extraneous bolts, caps, etc. The wrought Iron style I was hoping to find were going for $200  locally, so I passed and went with this.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

I found a spot along the fence where it would fit and measured the width of the posts. I threw a bit of black bbq grill paint on it to see what would happen. I wasn't happy with the results, but the look is still ok. The dark paint will help the flowers pop.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

I dug two shallow holes for the legs 8" or so, and then cut away the sod in front of it. My goal is to have varying heights of flowers front-to-back (foot to head?) and so I started in the 'back'.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

I dropped the headboard frame into my holes. I had a leftover bag of $7 mortar from another project, so I poured dry mortar into the hole, only filling about 1" or so. I always wear gloves around this stuff.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

Add water slowly until it's completely wet. Repeat with 1" of dry mortar and water, again and again until you reach the level you want. You could use concrete, mix, or concrete/sand blend, or whatever you have around.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

I sturdied the headboard frame overnight with a scrap 2x4 so it would remain vertical/plumb until the mortar hardened.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

Here's the left side hardened the next day. This isn't fence-strong by any means, but will hold my ornamental display for years to come, and should I ever sell the place it will be easy to remove.

I got some seeds off ebay cheap, and thought I'd try growing from scratch. I threw down some topsoil, a handful of seeds, more topsoil, and a bit of red mulch to keep the rain from disturbing the seeds.

a permanent flower bed for my backyard

Here's the flower bed along side my chainlink fence. Eight weeks later the Celosia are about 30" tall, and just starting to bloom. I placed a few bedding plants along the side. I hope you approve

• Robyn Garner

Wonderful! I've been watching for a similar headboard for my own yard.

This is so nice, why did you choose to put against the ugly chain link rather than as a focal point of its own?

• Ari Driver

I'm looking for headboards NOW!!!!

• Gena Duke

So, pretty. Changes the entire look of the yard. Creating more than a space but a place to sit and enjoy , getting back to nature relives stress and well.. you've marketed that idea! Good Job! I will definitely get started on this project, after all who doesn't have an old bed frame, chair or metal trellis hanging around waiting for better times ..ok, Thanks for the idea!