How can I open up my wall of cabinets yet increase storage?

+1
I have a wall in my kitchen dividing it and my living rm. It houses upper and lower cabinetry. I want the space opened up but I need atleast equal the amt of storage. Any solutions?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 29, 2018
    Hi Devin, if you remove the doors and the back of the upper cabinet you will create open shelving that would really help with how open the space feels. In the open shelving you can place all your pretty dishes, glassware etc and then what you're housing in the cabinet now can be stored where you glassware used to be.
  • Macysmom Macysmom on Jun 29, 2018

Can you remove the top part of the wall and leave the lower cabinets? Add cabinets on the living room side (back to back).

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 30, 2018
    First of all is this a load bearing wall? You may have to consider having a post put for support if it is.
    It is the storage that you need though, for that take a hard look at what you have and really need for your life style. The wall with the cabinetry removed will give you a few feet of new wall space to the side (s) of it, maybe consider a new area for storage there designed to flow with the kitchen.
    Good luck with your project.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 30, 2018
    First.... determine if the wall is load bearing... a structural engineer can tell you that... and what size beam would be required to support the ceiling... and ... whether or not one or more support post will be required with the beam.
    Second... take a good hard look at your kitchen..if you put an island or peninsula where the wall was... will that give you enough storage to replace the cabinets you removed? Can you remove a set of upper cabinets on another wall and replace them with a 24 inch deep set (from counter to ceiling) to make a large pantry cupboard? Can you put a storage bench in your dining room to pick up the storage shortage? Can you relocate your refrigerator to another spot in the kitchen to make the layout function better (or change it for a "counter depth" one to give more workable space?
    Get some graph paper, draw out the kitchen... make templates of the cabinets and appliances and spend a little time planing out all the different options.... unless your cabinets were built on site/in place... you should be able to move most of them around (leave the sink in the same place... but it would not be hard to switch the dishwasher to the other side of it) and the stove will probably have to stay put too.
    As you rework the floor plan (on paper) photo copy each new arrangement to compare side by side later.