What to Do With Leftover Pallets…

$20

We have a very large backyard and we love it. Last summer we put pavers down in the back section to make a sports area for the kids, and a sitting, fire pit area for the adults. However, a piece (a triangle really) of the neighbors yard sticks into the back corner of this section. This area of their yard is basically overgrown weeds. To section it off my husband and I used the bunch of pallets, leftover from our renovation, as a makeshift fence. It looked kind of cool and rustic, but he had an even better idea. He wanted to paint it to look like a flag. A pallet flag fence? I must admit, I was like,”huh, what”? I didn’t really see his vision, but he did, so I told him to go for it.

The Tutorial…

Here is how we did it. It is pretty self explanatory, but I’ll elaborate anyway.

1. Buy some red, white, and blue paint.
  2. Lay all the pallets on the grass and start painting.
  3. Alternate red or white paint, and then paint 3 slats blue. We used 9 pallets and painted the first 4 with 3 slats of blue.
  4. Add stars, using a stencil and white paint.

To make them stand up my husband used t-posts, like these. He hammered them into the ground, and then put the pallets so the posts were in the middle. Like this below. 

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
The House house

• Katie

I'm interested but would like to know... can the fence be made taller with another row of pallets? How so? And will it be very sturdy?

• Sheryl

Personally, I would drive A couple of t-post into the ground, per pallet. They are inexpensive & come in various heights. They would provide extra stability. Then just slide the pallet down over them.

• Kathleen Duncan

Why only 36 stars?

• John Lamont

is there a particular type\shade of red, white and blue that should be used for the USA Flag?