Lsherbach
Lsherbach
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Amityville, NY

Faux Garden Window

$5

My daughter gave me this "window" mirror to sell at a garage sale. Sadly I came home with it and knew I had to give it a new life. So here we go.
faux garden window
Not very exciting. Oops! that's me in the mirror. The first order of business was to change the color (or lack thereof). So I turned the window face down and carefully removed the mirror to ready my project for paint.
faux garden window
bending up the clips, to remove the mirror.
faux garden window
Flat white with primer, was my choice of "color". When working with mirror, you have to be sure to paint even the backside and edges, as they will be reflected in the mirror when you put this back together.
It took two coats to cover. Be sure to allow each coat to dry before applying the next.
faux garden window
Next, I grabbed my black Sharpie/oil and using some inspiration from Pinterest I created a black line image of what I like to call dandelion puffs.
faux garden window
The final step: place the mirror back in the frame and hang it on my back gate.
faux garden window
I LOVE my little condo garden and look forward to seeing it reflected in this newest addition.

Happy crafting everyone!

• Deanne Saab

Why do you need a mirror if you paint it all over? Can't a plain glass window pane be painted to do the same thing? Maybe I am missing something here?

• Ladywell

Great job. I like the mirror you can see the reflection of the plant

• Lee

This might not be such a good idea for the birds who may fly right in to it.

• Lee

Hmm. A mirror will reflect the plants, trees, etc. and look just like a window. The decals or painted objects may prevent it or at least will help. My standing computer desk faces a wall with a large mirror on it. I love it cause it reflects the huge valley I have a view of (windows on opposite side) - my back is to the windows. Its like I am looking out a window.

• FrancieRunsLike A Duck

This is such a beautiful mirror, I love the dandelions you etched in. My only concern is that we have lots of sun in the yard. If it gets intense sun, isn't it possible the mirror could act as a laser and focus on an object and cause a fire?