Cutting out section of existing tub to make walk in

+2
I'm getting up in age with of course arthritis,I don't want to do complete remodel of bathroom,I only have one bathroom in house so was thinking of making old tub a walk in instead of tearing out and replacing with the pricy walk in or just a shower

• Janice Janice on Jun 30, 2018
    Hi Carolyn, when I first read your question, I thought "no way". But then I did a bit of searching and found that it is actually a possibility and I've added a link...just click on it below. It has information about how this is done and who can do it. If you do this, I hope you will post about it so we all know if it worked out well for you! Go for it!
  • Gk Gk on Jun 30, 2018
    Carolyn I don't think that's going to work well at all. It would be best to have a walk in shower installed correctly so you have no water issues that may create bigger problems and address safety issues. I am remodeling my bathroom for the same reasons and I have found many reasonably priced options along with the many more expensive options! It is possible to find shower units for a few hundred dollars. Of course you may have to have someone install it for you and that will cost some money or maybe you may know someone who can help you install it for less but I think it would be better and safer to start from scratch and have a new shower unit installed. There are less expensive options that people use for in cabins and basements that may work well for you. Take a trip to Menards, Home Depot or Lowes to see what they have in your price range. Good Luck!
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 30, 2018
    Oh Carolyn, I assume you are able to do this job yourself (Using the necessary tools. You don't say if Acrylic or Cast Iron. You will have to cover the raw edge with something like Baby Buffer edging I guess sealed with waterproof sealant. Be careful you don't cut it too low and leave enough for water and yourself to lay in without spilling out. You could of course use a bath board to sit on or a Bath Seat (freestanding or fitted to the wall). or a Step on the outside of the bath. You may also get help if you have a social worker or Health worker or are able to contact an Arthritis Charity or Age concern etc. Good luck.....Be safe..............
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 30, 2018
    Carolyn, I read every bit of the excellent article Janice cited. You still need a contractor. A door to close the tub is optional and requires a tub cap. Fiberglass is easier to work with than tile or ceramic. You have the use a shower curtain to help with the shower water from wetting the area outside the tub. I would choose to have a shower take the place of your tub, and make it big enough to allow a seat or bench, and it does not have to be built in. On our travels this year, we fell in love with walk in showers. I suggest you get one. ☺️
  • Pat Pat on Jun 30, 2018
    I think a tub cut out may work fine for you but I find my tub is fairly slippery and afraid that might be the case with your tub. I think I would get prices for removing your tub and installing a shower from scratch...I think you would be happier. Make sure you have grab bars in the right places to help you.