Chipped countertops- How to use faux stone paint to repair?

I have very old chipped laminate counter tops in my kitchen that I am going to paint over. I have ordered the kit of faux stone paint but shall have to repair the couple of chips before I begin. Does anybody know the correct way to do this please?

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 30, 2018
    Just buy a bottle of wood filler and press the filler in all the chips, even on the edge. You can use your finger to spread it on and to clean up any extra. Give it a day to dry, finely sand the places so the counter will be smooth, then follow your Kit directions. Best wishes! ☺️
  • Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jun 30, 2018
    You can also use body filler. They sell it in the automotive section of Walmart, and it is cheap. It is a two part produc, so all you need to do is mix the filler with some of the hardener. Don’t let this scare you because you cannot mess this up...it is foolproof. Just get something like a piece of cardboard and put some filler on it with a popsicle stick, or anything else that will work for mixing the two parts with. Then mix in some of the hardener and mix it up good. You know it’s mixed when the product forms one color instead of two. Now, if you didn’t put in enough hardener the mixture will not harden up. just add a little more hardener. If it is setting up while you are trying to use it, there is too much hardener. You can either try mixing in more of the filler, or scrap the mixture and start again. This is what I told you about it being foolproof. Body filler is simple to use, is much harder than wood filler, and tends to stay where you put it. Also, wood filler is likely to crack, loosen, and fall out over time because it will not bond well to the slick texture of a countertop.
  • Rhonda S Rhonda S on Jul 01, 2018
    Zar, I agree with you completely. Because it is stinky and you might well make a mess that is harder to clean up, many will avoid it, but we've used fiber glass filler so much that I have a group of friends who call me Bondo instead of Rhonda. In any case, the only advice other than using throw-away mixing cups and plastic discardable spreaders would be to be patient with the sanding. The home owner will want to take the time to make it smooth with finer and finer sand paper, and not get into a rush in the preparation.