Semi-permanent Indoor Fairy /gnome Garden : Gnome House

$6

I've always loved model displays. ..Christmas villages, train displays. ..anything miniature. I decided to make an indoor gnome garden. I looked around the house for a good place and landed on our entertainment stand. ..and a project is born! This post is for a gnome house made from an old log which will go into the garden. More posts will follow as I complete the finished project. ☺
I found this log and knew it would be perfect for the base of the house! In addition, the materials I used : moss- I used both floral and Spanish moss, tacky glue, jute twine 2-ply, small twigs- I actually used red cedar mulch chips and a hammer, flat screwdriver, small foam brush and a band or jigsaw.
The first thing I did was to saw the log. I decided how tall I wanted the house to be, drew a line and sawed it in half, creating the base for the house. I left a piece of a small branch on the side. Then I coated the base with tacky glue using a foam brush. This will seal it up and give it a nice sheen.
I found this little fairy door at ACMoore for $3.99 and 50%off so I just had to get it! I glued it to the front of the log and allowed it all to dry.
In the meantime, I found this little bugger at BigLots for $5.00...also 50% off ...it was just what I was looking for!
I removed him from the arch and switched out the string with jute twine. I separated the jute to 1-ply , coated it with a bit of tacky glue by running it through my fingers. ..this took care of the frayness (is that a word? ☺) and it fit perfectly into the holes of his little seat! Set him aside to dry.
Next we'll make the roof. Using a hammer and the flat end of a screwdriver, gently tap small 'slots' around the top of the log. Fill the slots with tacky glue and insert twigs or mulch chips. Allow to dry for a bit.
Now we'll add the moss. I did this by layering tacky glue and floral moss until I had the dome shape I wanted. Don't be afraid to use a liberal amount of glue...you kind of want it to seep in to keep the moss contained.
Then tied on my buddy, added moss to the branch, and around the door.
At the last minute I made a little welcome sign on a mulch chip simply using a sharpie and glued it above the door.
I added some Spanish moss to hang down in some places and vwolla! My gnome house is finished!
I love how it turned out and hope you do too!
I can't wait to put it in the finished garden! Next I'll be working on a fire pit and a small water feature. I hope you enjoyed this project and it inspired you to make your own fairy or gnome garden! ☺ Thanks for viewing!

• Cab8942115

where can i find small gnomes

• Barbara

You can get gnomes, and fairies, and all their belongings at any craft store. Also Amazon and Wish. Use your coupons at the craft stores, these things can get expensive!

• Dalechallinor

Where can I get the fairy doors? Please.

• LK_da_hobby_gal

Don't forget about your eBay! I have found some really interesting miniatures coming from China & the other Pacific rim nations. Of course I have to be really patient & order early if there is a time restraint as most items really are coming over on a slow boat from China! But being in Australia you would be much closer! I just buy from those that have a very large sales volume so I know they have an established seller's base! EBay has some great sellers' on it with great prices, so shop around! Try fairy gardens, gnomes, miniatures, etc to jump start your search.

• Ccrow99

Not only is this the most adorable project, but your tutorials are amazing so clear and perfectly easy to follow. Great job all around.

• Marc Erick

Thank you so much! I always worry about wording the tutorial 😊 Your comment was so nice 😊

• Michelle Leslie

It's adorable Marc, simply love the little gnome outside on his swing. So cute