Halfway Through the Client's Hillside Shade Garden

Sometimes my schedule includes weekends when a client is free. Yesterday, I worked creating a shade garden for a client/neighbor who loves my yard and asked me to help them with an erosion and ugly problem. Since I have worked in this yard before I knew that she already had many of the plants needed (from me and my gardens a couple years before). The hillside has become a sore spot for her and her husband and he finally succumbed to letting her have a "Renee" garden. LOL
So I went to work digging up many of the hostas, a couple Astilbe, Jacob's Ladder, and a couple Japanese Painted ferns and transferring them from another area. Since my 'specialty' is working with budgets and someone's existing garden and lawn, I take great pride in creating some beautiful out of something blah.
I first start by looking at the spot from all ways before, during, and after planting so that the area looks random and the colors compliment or contrast. I love working in shade gardens because there are so many plants to work with that have beautiful color, texture, and heights. We will be adding to her garden later when she has more money and since I love to share, I brought her over a couple rhizomes of my lovely variegated False Solomon Seal to add to her garden. I do not sell my plants out of my garden even though I could make a small fortune because I find that the more you share the more things bless your life (plus it is illegal to sell plants without a nursery license).
This hillside is shade with some dappled sunlight late afternoon. Like my property, she is surrounded by even more tall trees than I am. In this area, too, the common property is adjacent and I thought my making this a bit more natural and carefree fits in with the natural setting.
I have to add that when I plant I do not plant in rows and I certainly do not plant by heights. I concentrate on what I am doing and somehow I just 'feel' where the plant goes. I randomly place the hosta and other plants with the knowledge that some will touch and some will not. I left holes for when I have other plants to share later on this year or when I put in a plant order for other clients.
It takes patience more than money to have beautiful gardens. By starting out with small gifts from other gardeners or smaller plants from the store, you can start to create your own masterpiece. Patience. That is a gardeners best asset.
I hope this inspires you to create in your small piece of the world.
Thank you and happy gardening!
halfway through the client s hillside shade garden, gardening, landscape
From the top looking down the hill. Yes, that is Monkey grass/Liriope which helps hold back the rush of water when it rains. and they work at keeping it at bay
The hillside looking up-a barren slope of discontent for them
The start of her beautiful shade garden and next spring should look awesome.
What about that empty space? there are 4 Abelias (which are in another bed that we are removing and putting in hydrangeas) going along the shade garden and the right side at the triangle empty space is common area where we will be adding native holly and a Bottlebrush buckeye for privacy.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Faidra Ford

My goodness that is a bummer! I don't even want to think about the bulbs! My hostas r humongous and really need to be done though, do u know of anyone in area u could refer that I could pay to do this?

• @Faidra Ford I wish I knew someone your way. What I would look for is a smaller garden /landscaper and maybe even someone who calls themselves a weed maid. Good luck.

• Faidra Ford

Thanks! Weed Maid...interesting!