DIY Standing Planter

$100

When moving to our 10 acre property I was so delighted to start a garden this year... however so were the groundhogs! They basically ate all my plants and flowers that I had started from seed indoors within the first day I moved them outside. But that didn't stop me from having my garden...

diy standing planter

Say hello to the Groundhog - we have about 20-30 of them living on our property... and they are the inspiration behind this DIY project.

diy standing planter

We wanted to build a standing planter that groundhogs could not get into... we built the base from construction grade pine.

diy standing planter

I wanted to paint the base using Superior Paint Co. Little White to match our house and shop.

diy standing planter

We HVLP sprayed two coats of Superior Paint Co. Little White. Once dry we drilled holes in the base to allow for water drainage.

diy standing planter

We then lined the planter using pacific north west red cedar. We added rocks from the property to help with drainage.

diy standing planter

Next time to plant! We though this would take a lot of soil to fill it … but we only need 1 1/2 bags of soil.

diy standing planter

Now time to plant! I started tomatoes and zucchini from seed inside the house and planted spinach, onion and carrots from seed in the planter.

Say hello to Oscar - he's our little apple head Chihuahua

diy standing planter

I used popsicle sticks to label what I planted and where.

diy standing planter

6 weeks later and I am happy to announce the spinach is doing great and ready for harvesting!

diy standing planter

We've had a really cold spring and everything else is going to take much longer but happy to announce the design has kept the groundhogs from eating it!

diy standing planter

We hope you enjoyed this project! If you have any hot tips from keeping ground hogs out of your garden please post them bellow!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 20, 2018 10:43 PM - More info

• UpState

Wouldn't this be the perfect height for a ....

"deer feeding trough" ?

• BELLA

Deer ate EVERYTHING I planted this year before I could even get the Irish Spring in place. I like the idea of the raised bed here. You did a great job!

Cute dog, too!

• Debi O'Brien

I am curious to know how your tomatoes did...I have a cedar fence that disrupts my tomato growth so i had to quit planting them near it. I love the idea because it will also keep slugs away as well. I have been wanting to do something similar for my strawberries. I see your spinache is doing great and it will be easier for harvest because it will be at an easier level to reach. Job well done!

• Ingrid Pilgrim

How to build a rack for hanging plant pots?

• Pai9582734

Very cool idea! I was trying to think of an idea on how to put my garden in without disrupting my grass that I pain stakenly spent the last 2 years to get to grow. This is the perfect solution! Thank you so very much for this great idea. I will post pics when I get them built. Hopefully I can have them ready by spring planting.

• Terra

Wonderful! So happy to hear you've been inspired :)

• Lov30865216

I have voles, what really works....dog poop. Drop it down the hole and they will never come thru that tunnel again. If they come up somewhere else, drop some down that hole also, eventually they figure out your property is not safe.