DIY Standing Planter

21K Views

When moving to our 10 acre property I was so delighted to start a garden this year... however so were the groundhogs! They basically ate all my plants and flowers that I had started from seed indoors within the first day I moved them outside. But that didn't stop me from having my garden...

Time: 3 DaysCost: $100Difficulty: Easy
  • diy standing planter

Say hello to the Groundhog - we have about 20-30 of them living on our property... and they are the inspiration behind this DIY project.

• diy standing planter

We wanted to build a standing planter that groundhogs could not get into... we built the base from construction grade pine.

• diy standing planter

I wanted to paint the base using Superior Paint Co. Little White to match our house and shop.

• diy standing planter

We HVLP sprayed two coats of Superior Paint Co. Little White. Once dry we drilled holes in the base to allow for water drainage.

• diy standing planter

We then lined the planter using pacific north west red cedar. We added rocks from the property to help with drainage.

• diy standing planter

Next time to plant! We though this would take a lot of soil to fill it … but we only need 1 1/2 bags of soil.

• diy standing planter

Now time to plant! I started tomatoes and zucchini from seed inside the house and planted spinach, onion and carrots from seed in the planter.

Say hello to Oscar - he's our little apple head Chihuahua

• diy standing planter

I used popsicle sticks to label what I planted and where.

• diy standing planter

6 weeks later and I am happy to announce the spinach is doing great and ready for harvesting!

• diy standing planter

We've had a really cold spring and everything else is going to take much longer but happy to announce the design has kept the groundhogs from eating it!

• diy standing planter

We hope you enjoyed this project! If you have any hot tips from keeping ground hogs out of your garden please post them bellow!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 13, 2018 10:15 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Terra