Chalk Paint & Yard Stick Makeover

Are you ready for the most amazing story - like I'm talking straight out of your dreams type of story?
One summer day, my friend called me up and said, "Hey, I have a place for you to check out. I think you'll love it. This guy collected all kinds of antiques, became a hoarder, and walked away from it all. It's picked over, but he's given us permission to go in and take anything we want for free".
I pretty much died right then and there, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was when I actually got to the place! (The photo above is just some of the things I hauled away from there on our first trip.) It was filled with stuff - old stuff! I didn't know where to begin, but one thing I immediately grabbed in the porch was this collection of aged yardsticks (although since I live in Canada, they are actually metre sticks).
I had this tray lying around that I had used for my daughters party and never repurposed. Then I had the idea of lining the bottom of the tray with the aged yardsticks, and painting the old ugly oak with Annie Sloan's Antibes Green.
This is one of my favourite projects, and it sits on my coffee table everyday! It's super easy to create too, and all you have to do is paint and cut the sticks to size. It would make a beautiful gift, don't you think?
You can check out the full details on my blog - http://becomingmartha.com/chalk-paint-and-yard-stick-serving-tray-makeover/

Sarah Desjardins

• Xena Nierobisz

this is really cool and you are so lucky! :) I would love to go to a place like that and dig thru old stuff and find "treasure: :)

• Anna Ibarra

Oh my I'm more excited at your great lucky freebees. Sweet, I love those wooden bins and yes, I would have hauled the yard sticks too. Very sweet tray and yes great as a gift. I usually try to always get me some yard sticks. I don't always have luck in pricing part. People mark them high here.