From Mission Style To Cottage: End Table Makeover

$40

Hi all! I'm so excited to share with you a simple and inexpensive End Table Makeover that turned out so beautifully! For full details and links to the products that I used head over to the blog at Stately Home Lane!
from mission style to cottage end table makeover
My Mom gave me this end table that she didn't want anymore. Since Mission Style furniture doesn't really fit my style, and the finish wasn't my favorite, I decided to give this piece a much needed makeover!
To add some interest to this piece I added some wooden appliqués to the piece. For the project I used 3 of the smaller appliqués and 1 of the larger style.
To position the larger appliqué where I wanted on the piece I modified it by removing the center with a hammer and chisel.
I positioned the appliqués where I wanted them and then, using finishing nails, secured them into place.
The addition of the appliqués added some much needed interest to this bland piece.
I then painted the piece using 3 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in pure white. I didn't prep the piece for paint except to wipe down with a damp cloth.
Next, using a small craft paint brush I stippled the appliqués with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen and wiped off the excess with a damp paper towel. This gave an aged finish to the piece.
I sealed the piece using Annie Sloan Wax in a clear finish and finished by replacing the original knob with the beautiful vintage-style glass knob.
I absolutely love the way that the piece looks now and hope that you love this project too!

CHALK PAINT (R) by Annie Sloan – Decorative paint for furniture,...

Haley    at statelyhomelane.com

• Lillyrose

Where do you find the appliques. Have been looking for some for a project I want to do.

• Janet Booher Raburn

i thought one of the great things about chalk paint was that you didn’t have to do so many coats. Do you always do 3 coats? Thanks.

• Paula P

You can also use shellac first on pieces you think might bleed through.

• Pat C

I may have missed something, but I would like to know if the end table real wood or laminate? I would like to try chalk paint on a computer cabinet, but it is laminate and I don't know if it would work on the laminate. BTW - your makeover looks fantastic!

• Pat C

Hi Haley - If you don't mind another question, I would like to know what type of brush you used for the chalk paint. I have seen that a lot of DIYers seem to use the round ones while some mention other types. Thanks Pat!