Backyard Firepit

$150

My friend bought a new home a couple years ago and today she put in her backyard firepit. She wanted a safe way to have family get togethers around the fire. The first step is to be sure your town allows firepits in the city limits and inquire if they require a permit for it. Check with your local fire station and / or city zoning departments.
backyard firepit
She dug a hole about 2 bricks deep and used flat bricks for a base to rest the firepit. It needed to be up off the ground to allow air to circulate, so only 2 long bricks were needed for its metal frame.
backyard firepit
She decided on the square firepit that has a cover screen to catch any embers trying to fly away. They also make these round. Whether your firepit is round or square, the hole and bricks can be laid out in a square rectangle or circle. The hole just has to be large enough to hold the firepit frame.
backyard firepit
She set the metal frame of the fire box in the hole on the bricks and back filled it with dirt where it was needed. Some of the dirt she hauled off to the garden.
backyard firepit
The last step is the fun placement of the decoration bricks and safety wall around the fire pit to hold the fire box in place. Then gather around with your chairs in the evening with family and friends and enjoy good times around the fire! I know she will be sharing many family photos of their evenings in the back yard.

• Susan Feaver Neufeld

I have a question. I've never had a backyard firepit so I may be misunderstanding what I'm seeing. It looks to me as though you've put the lid on the box and _then_ you put the decorative bricks around edge thus holding the lid down. My question is 2 part - am I right in my understanding and if I am, do you need to remove all those bricks every time you need to replenish whatever fuel (wood or charcoal maybe)?

• Ren34149671

Does it need to be fire brick or regular brick?

• DesertRose

These are cinderblocks, the bigger ones in the bottom and smaller flat ones on the top sides.

• Bel15970784

What about rain water drainage?

I would recommend a deeper hole with a sand bottom about 1" deep. Then place quarter size river rock 3-4" deep. Tamp down until it's packed in. Skip the cinder blocks. Then make sure drainage holes are in fire pan bottom at lowest point & several of them. I would recommend moving in bricks 1/2" on all 4 sides...allowing the screen to rest on edge of bricks.

If you want to guarantee proper drainage...you can add a drain just above sand level & dig tunnel for pipe to run out to lowest point of property. Then place river rock etc.

Just an idea.

• Brenda Bickerstaff

You got the right idea. Don’t skip a step as climate change is everywhere. Having to redo something is time consuming which is in high demand.

• Bronxgirlcl

OMG your dog ..I had one just like that . Dice. Loved him. Never saw another one like him again until now .

• Shelli

Love it. Looks great. Classy