Puzzling Over Puzzles?

$10

I love to do jigsaw puzzles. They are so pretty, but what to do with them when they are all put together? I frame them!
Here is one of my finished projects.
These small foam paintbrushes work great with Modge Podge. You can either rinse them with plain water, or throw them away. They are very cheap.
I apply the Modge Podge pretty thickly. When you apply it, it looks milky, but dries clear. I put a coat on the front, letting it dry before adding another coat. Then I also put Modge Podge on the back, for stability.
Milky appearance
I used a spray adhesive, to attach the cardboard to the puzzle. You could also use Elmer's glue. Just follow the directions on the can/bottle.
I have some very thin cedar planks left over from another project. They work perfect for the frame. But basically you could use any scrap wood you have laying around. Be creative!
45° angle
I have a Miter saw that is very handy, I cut the boards at a 45 degree angle. If you don't have a Miter saw, you could either cut them straight, so they 'butt up to each other", or use a Miter box with a hack saw.
Showing the cut ends
18 gauge, 3/8 inch brad's
I tried using small brad's, with my air bradgun, but my boards were too thin.
So I used my air staple gun, with short staples to staple the frame together.
The front of the picture
If you wanted to, you could stain the frame, but I liked mine natural.
Add a hanging apparatus
For this puzzle, I used my staple gun, and stapled some twine, a little about 5 inches from the top. I have used hanging wire before, with eyelets, but this is so lite, the twine and staples should hold it.
TaDa!
And here is the finished product. This works very nicely to display your puzzles... I just hang mine in my chicken coops!

1 comment
  • Wendy

This is a great tutorial! Looking good!