Antique Dresser Makover With Hummingbird Design

$10
Advanced

It’s hot here in Arizona and it’s not the greatest time to work in the garage and definitely not a great idea to go junkin, but that is exactly what I am doing! I seen an ad on the local swap shop site for a free dresser, so off I went to pick it up. It was not in the best of shape but that is my speciality, taking junk and making it beautiful. When I got it home there was a big chunk missing from the top front, but the piece was there to fix it, thank goodness! It also looked odd sitting, like it needed legs or something. This dresser does have a stain shaded design and I have done a couple short videos to show how it is done, it is under my projects on Hometalk titled big ol’ sunflower table or you can see it and more of my work on my Facebook page. Www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

Here it is before. Someone had started to paint it black and I felt it looked odd sitting flush on the ground. It was solid wood and it was a well built piece of old furniture. I removed the decorative wood pieces on each drawer, I did this for the design I was putting on it.

This is showing the big piece missing from the front. I wood glued it back on and used wood filler to smooth it all out and fill in the cracks.

I added some bun feet. I had to use a small block of 2x4 to the back and then drilled holes for the feet to fit perfectly. I wood glued these in also. I waited 24hours for them to dry before turning over.

I used my heat gun to get all the paint out of the crevices.

All sanded and ready for design. The darker marks are wet from where I had wiped it off.

I decided to put a stain shaded hummingbird on the front. I was also going to stain areas and use copper metallic paint on the feet, top, and side areas, I also used a black glaze over the copper paint.

My hummingbird has been drawn on and I have started out lining with stain. Stain shading is a process of using just stain to create an image.

Side view, you can see where I stained and where the copper paint was used.

Bun feet, painted and glazed

Top painted and glazed. I had planned on staining the top but the area that had the flaw showed too bad.

Hummingbird all finished.

These are the only 3 things I used.

All finished. The Hummingbird and his Shadow, I also added the mirror and painted it to match. I hope you enjoyed this project, I absolutely love it and it is by far one of my favorite pieces.

To see more: //www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Beverly Wick Maltby Moore

How did you take the drawer detail off? I don't see it.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It was just nailed on. I carefully pried it up and filled the small holes with wood filler.

• Mickey

I loved the front detail on the drawers and would have left them on. I would have done your hummingbird stencil on an already flat dresser. But that’s just me. Different likes...that’s what makes the world interesting!

• Bmarie

I like the bun feet. Wonderful job! What a great eye you have for seeing potential in the dresser. Love your artistic style!

• RWLM

You used three materials and you painted the top of the dresser. Did you use the DecoArt metallic paint?

• Becky

I LOVE that mirror! And how did you do the hummingbird?

• Stacaz

I just have to ask if you used a pattern for the hummingbird? It is truly beautiful!!! It’s especially fun when it was a free dresser to start!

• Diane

Love the result. Did you have a stencil for the hummingbird or are you an artist?

• Loretta

How build a patio

• Eva Saunders

I am a bit lost on how you were able to do the humming bird. Do you have a video tutorial

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I do not for this project. I basically draw my hummingbird on with a pencil and use stain to create the image. You can look at my project Big’Ol Sunflower table to see the process.

• Rob

You stated 2 different paints...deco art metallic and Martha Stewart metallic paint. Did you paint the top with Martha Stewart metallic copper on the top?

• Sally

Did you use a projector for the hummingbird image?

• Janice

This is absolutely beautiful. Only $10 in materials on a free dresser, but your creativity and follow through are priceless! Isn't it fun to make over a mundane item into a unique one of a kind gorgeous piece for pure enjoyment?

• Heidi Morton

This set my heart a flutter: Absolutely beautiful! You are so very talented! Are you going to place this masterpiece in your home? You should be proud!

• Sue Dingmann

Great work! I noticed you used Plastic Wood as a filler. I have used this before and liked it, but found it all dried up in the container when I wanted to use it on another project. I was careful to seal it properly. I bought another one, same thing happened! Any advice?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Add water a table spoon at a time and stir. I have done this for years.

• Robyn Garner

I have also just added water and mixed it through with a small paint scraper. I've done it forever also! 😎

• Becky

Did you have a pattern for the hummingbird drawing?

• Cindy Rubin

How does a heat gun help remove paint?

• Sherry

Beautiful work! I love the cabinet and the entire wall setting. Is there a pattern available for the hummingbird? Also, which product did you use for the mirror frame refinish? I have a gold framed mirror that I would love to refinish on a brushed chrome color.

• Trina Davis Strong

How did you treat the area of the shadow? Was it just glazed or waxed? I wonder because I wouldn't have left it bare wood.

• Monique Fritzsche

Where did you get the hummingbird pattern? Beautiful work.

• Dawn

• Maureen

I remember the sunflower table. Both pieces are absolutely beautiful. You are extremely creative.

Thank you for sharing ❤️