OceeB
OceeB
  • Hometalk Helper
  • United States

Give a Chair New Life!

$25

My daughter mentioned she would like to get a new desk chair so I kept an eye out for a unique find and came upon a chair that had seen a lot of life but had more life to give.

give a chair new life

I wanted to start off with the achievement!

Entire chair was painted blossom white and armrests aged with the use of sandpaper and sealed with satin sealer, new high density cushion foam and found fabric for covers to sew, buttons were added and voile !

This was completed over a period of 4 days but actual time was only about 12 hours.. Finding the time to paint between rain showers, choosing a fun fabric and then just the mindset (fresh brain) to cut the fabric. Electric staple gun was a purchase that I will forever love

give a chair new life

Recent estate sale find - $7.50... I forgot to take a pic before I dismantled it

give a chair new life

but hope you can get the idea of original chair ?

give a chair new life

Ready for makeover! What have I gotten myself into? The seat cushion required pliers to get the staples out. The material was really nasty but you just push through it

give a chair new life

Wheels - the gold section was actually metal so sanded rust, covered rubber wheel with painters tape and then spray painted!

give a chair new life

easiest part of makeover and had metallic silver spray paint from previous projects

give a chair new life

Looks brand new! I actually sprayed a matte clearcoat ontop of the metallic silver as didn't want them to appear too shiny.

give a chair new life

Brighten up with new paint? I painted with blossom white primer/paint spray and the lil guy too. I then went over with a satin clearcoat spray paint sealer

give a chair new life

Measure twice even thrice before cutting.. I took my time to try and match print pattern (Walmart $3.97/yd) for the edge of seat cushion and top and then matched to backrest to seat cushion. I saved all the old pieces to use as pattern, used the old foam to cut shape of new foam (electric knife is awesome for cutting foam!)

give a chair new life

Not too shabby for first timer on reupholstering a chair. I forgot to take a photo of stapling the material onto bottom cushion. There is a 1/2" board that forms the base of the seat. I used 2" High Density foam and wrapped with 2 layers of batting 1" before putting in newly sewn seat cover and then stretched material and stapled centers first across from each other and then along the front and then the back and then did that on sides

give a chair new life

Give it a try! I will say the buttons were the most painful part as the originals were some how snapped on with a metal rod going through.. I used needle and regular thread and thick cotton thread. Recommend sewing buttons on first, then make the 4 dimples and then add to chair and sew through using the thick cotton thread unless you have a button gun (if that exists).

The best result = my daughter loves it!

• Jeanne Creel

Now if someone can just show how to make these chairs go higher for us shorties.

• OceeB

Yes the old chairs are not very adjustable... you might be able to create a rolling foot extender :)

• Kathie Jo Bartlett

Beautiful job....love the fold over back!

• OceeB

Thank you! I loved that too and had never seen before.

• Maude LaFountain

WOW !!! That is one beautiful chair !!! I love it and the choice of the fabric makes it look so HIGH END !!! Great Job !!!

• OceeB

Maude, Thank you! I thought that was such a fun fabric and love those tones of teal.