Kathy R
Kathy R
  • Sparta, GA

Create a Garden Planter From an Old Chair

$30

This old rocker could have been thrown out. The rush seating was gone, the paint - chipped and it wasn't sturdy...BUT, it is perfect to be used as a planter...I had this Hydrangea and some Petunias. With just a few items I could easily transform this chair into a charming garden planter!

create a garden planter from an old chair

As you can see, this rocker has seen better days - the seat is completely gone. BUT, it can be pretty sitting in the garden with the Hydrangea in the seat - as a planter - The first thing I did was to clear away all damaged rush seating.

After the chair is cleaned from the rush seating, I took some chicken wire - enough to fit into the seat opening like a bowl. You'll have to fold over some of the pieces. Be very careful of the cut ends - fold them over when attaching to the sides. I stapled all around to secure the chicken wire.

Next, you will want to fill the center of the chicken wire 'pot' with natural fabric such as burlap. I used a coffee bean sack. You may have to slit it some to ensure it opens enough in the chicken wire. I folded the ends over the edges of the chicken wire and secured with more staples here and there.

Now, fill your 'pot' with good potting soil; select your choice of plant material - and plant!

I liked the combination of the Hydrangea and the Petunias. The Hydrangea will fill the planter in height and the Petunia will beautifully trail around the base of the chair.

Now the chair, which could have been discarded is a charming Cottage styled, rustic planter that can be placed anywhere in the garden. Once the plant material is planted make sure that you keep it watered well so that it will reward you with beautiful blooms.

Kathy R

• LInda Geiger

Did you seal the wood with a sealer or deck water proof sealer

• Val

I love this so much. Would it be a good idea to seal the wood so it lasts longer outside? It's just too cute to let it fall apart with age.

• Joanie

I liked the materials you used to make your project........looks great to me........Enjoy!

• Rachelle

Beautiful! I love the the rocker" and it makes me so happy that ypu gave it purpose again instead of adding it to the garbage heap. Wonderful job!