How to paint wood kitchen cabinets (dark wood)

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jul 06, 2018
    I recommend priming them first and then painting them. If you are planning to use a chalk or mineral paint, Dixie Belle Paint Company makes a product called Slick Stick that is perfect to prime and then you paint over that with the color of your choice.
  • Janet Janet on Jul 06, 2018

We had dark wood also. I first tried to strip the finish off but the wood was not very pretty in it's uncovered state. I landed up just sanding them enough in order paint. I then primed them - I used two coats but you might not need two. I then used Behr eggshell finish paint. I wanted it to blend in with my appliances as they were fairly new at the time. They were almond so I used a paint that was pretty much the same color. I took all the doors off and all hardware. Laid all the cabinets on the garage floor and used a small sponge roller to put two coats of paint on. I lightly sanded between coats and used a damp rag to make sure any dust was removed before painting. I also spray painted the hardware brass color (this was done 20 yrs ago). It lasted about a year before the paint began to wear off. I also painted the inside of my cabinets as they were originally painted black inside - it was so dark you couldn't see inside well. One thing I also noticed was that my cabinets have a wood grain feel and at certain angles you can see it. I kinda liked it so it didn't bother me, but some people might want a smooth look. But it took a lot of work and I made sure none of the paint left drip marks. I didn't want them to look painted, if you know what I mean. Here it is 20 years later and it still looks fresh and new. I am able to really scrub them down to clean any grease or food spills on them. The pain has held up nicely. My hinges wore out and I just replaced them a few months ago. They wouldn't stay closed anymore and that drove me crazy to see the doors always open a bit. I also replaced the sliders on the 8 drawers as they too wore out. Once that was done I washed them all down again and the kitchen looked great once more. Just take your time and do each step carefully. It took me 3 weeks to do all 17 cabinet doors and drawers. Back and front as well as painting the insides. I am sure you can do it with a paint sprayer but I am not experienced with them so I used the old fashion roller. Good luck. The worst that can happen is you will need to sand more if you have drips. You can always change colors too.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jul 06, 2018
    I would take a cabinet door to the paint department of your home improvement store and ask for their advice on materials and application. They know all of the newest products and techniques for a professional job.