Privacy fence? Looking forward to suggestions.

+1
My 50ft cedar trees are dying. My neighbors house is about 25ft away from my house. I have a 6ft privacy fence also but looking out the window my neighbor can see everything I do in my yard. I am a very private person and just like the feel of a big country yard with no neighbors. I need some good options on increasing my privacy. I do not have a lot of money to spend and trees take a long time to fill in. I am a do it your self-er but I am looking for options that aren't too difficult as I would have little help. Looking forward to suggestions. Thank you! DK

• Add a trellis with vining plants that suit your climate. Morning glory grows incredibly quick, sweet potato vine, jasmine, etc. I get you do not want them peering into your yard, but I would bet my last thin dime, they have other things to do and are wrapped up in their own lives. Chances are you have nothing to worry about.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jul 06, 2018
    Depending on the situation think about a trellis. I put up a Sunsetter awning with a privacy curtain. This has increased privacy on my patio .
  • Emily Emily on Jul 06, 2018
    I never think that people are all that interested in me. Just observe next time you are speaking to someone, how closely they are following you. However, I would also like a barrier or defining point for my property. but that is for aesthetic reasons, not privacy. We are as close as you are but to three neighboring houses. and there are fences on both sides of our 54 foot wide lot and also our back. We have plantings (rhododendrons grow quite high), also Boston ivy on one fence, a patio with a grape vine over it. A wisteria pergola. We also have lilac trees and maple trees. If you do add a trellis get a large one and frame it. Also check with your planning office to see height restrictions.
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 07, 2018
    Hi Deb,
    At this point you may not be able to seclude the view of your whole yard which your cedar tree was blocking, but what you might be able to do is create a cover for part of your yard to protect your privacy.
    If you have a covered patio, you could perhaps put up a curtain at the where it ends. I have seen pics of where people have attached a cable from a post to the house and put up a shower liner (easily gathered up & secured when not in use).
    You could also add a trellis to the top of your fence and vining plants are a quick fill in. But if you choose to do that, be sure there are no restrictions on fence height where you now live.
    Sweet potatoes have beautiful light green full leaves.
    Morning glories are fast growers and take over, plus you'll never be able to get rid of them & neither will your neighbors, they form a tangled vine that is a difficult.