My mini fridge has a chemical smell. What does that mean

Cheryl AShore grandmomCindy Ptak
+4

I was cleaning the freezer and punctured it. Now it won't get cold and my fridge has a strong chemical oder coming from it

• Sheila
    Sheila

probably the freon leaking. Trash it!!!
  • Alison Savill
    Alison Savill

You need to replace it try not to breath it you need to get rid of it
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Sounds like you have broken the seal for the refrigerant.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

the Freon may be leaking out. the Freon is what makes the fridge cold. this where i look at the price to repair, vs new or used. honestly....you may be better off replacing it with a new one.....they tend to be better insulated.
  • Cindy Ptak
    Cindy Ptak

Yep, that fridge is toast.

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

It may be a freon leak. You should move it outside because freon is stable, nonflammable, moderately toxic gases or liquids which have typically been used as refrigerants and as aerosol propellants. I think it's time for a new one.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

Kristin
    Freon leaks out if the fridge is punctured. Since it is no longer getting cold I would say the freon is low and the fridge needs to be repaired. It is not safe to use according to all info I read and food is not edible. You can repair it or replace it. Sorry this happened