How do I keep weeds from growing in my sidewalk?

+5
Major problem is that the walk is next to the house, would prefer not to use too harsh of chemicals.I am at a point that I'm ready for snow, we live in S.Dakota. Thank you,Susan

• Margaret Margaret on Jul 07, 2018

Use a weed wacker first to get them low. Sometimes a hoe or trowel to get more out and then use a solution of 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and 1 tbsp of dish liquid. Spray on the areas- need to do this every couple of weeks, but does seem to help.

• Jen Jen on Jul 08, 2018

I have a weed dragon.....Burn them buggers to the ground! Instant gratification

• Jan Jan on Jul 08, 2018
    use Borax soap. Its power make a spray. dont get it on the grass cause it wont grow back.Soak the cracks with water pull the weeds , spray, they wont grow back.

• Susan Main Susan Main on Jul 08, 2018
      Hi Jan, thanks so much, I will give Borax a try, I have gravel insread of sidewalk, which is why the weeds got out of control. But definitely will try Borax, thank you. Susan

• M M on Jul 08, 2018
    Accidentally over fertilize them ...I spilled concentrated fertilizer on sidewalk...burned them!!!😁

• Roberta Roberta on Jul 08, 2018

I use plain vinegar in a spray bottle .aLso sprinkle baking soda along the edge of the sidewalks.weeds or grass won't grow.I have gravel wAlks aLso.Good Luck

• Susan Main Susan Main on Jul 08, 2018
      Hi Roberta, thanks for the suggestions, will definitely try the vinegar and throw on some baking soda. Thanks so much ,Susan