Just bought a house and the former owners smoked a lot- what to do?

+3
we have painted

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jul 07, 2018
    Your question was cut short. Exactly what can we help you with?
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 07, 2018

Just painting will not remove the odor or the staining it caused. If the staining comes through the paint, you may need to repaint using something like Kilz that will not let the staining come through, a couple of coats before you paint. Everything will need to be cleaned really well, including inside closets, any surface in the house. Include vinegar in the rinse water to help with the smell. Anything fabric like carpets or curtains will have to be laundered or dry cleaned with something that will help with the odor. For carpet, I would use the shampoo for pet odors. Unless everything is cleaned of the smell, it won't go away, it loves to hang around for quite a while.

• William William on Jul 07, 2018
    Your question was cut off.

Smoke and nicotine tend to be oily. You may need to wash the walls/ceilings with TSP or any good degreaser. Then you need to use a good stain blocking primer like Kilz or Bullseye. Then you can paint.
  • Dfm Dfm on Jul 08, 2018
    Rember to wear gloves when dealing with nicotine covered items, it’s known to cause cancer, and it can be absorbed thru the skin.
  • Catnip4me2 Catnip4me2 on Jul 08, 2018
    Kilz Premium and Kilz High Hide formula both specifically cover smoke and nicotine. Oil based formulas are the strongest but if you plan to paint with latex paint, use the water based formulas. Also, if you go to a store that has a paint center, they can tint the kilz to comparable color, or a little lighter than your choice paint color, making painting easier with less coats. With paint, you really do get what you pay for. Spend a little more for a quality one-coat coverage paint. Comes out to about the same price as a cheaper paint you have to use multiple coats with. Valspar Reserve is my fav choice. If its not obvious, i work at a specialty paint center and we have the cheaper paints returned all the time.
    Kilz Premium ~$19
    One Coat paint ~$35-45/ gallon
    Cheaper paint ~$20-25/ gallon (but you'd use twice as much.
    Good luck!!
  • Elise Elise on Jul 08, 2018
    We had excellent results removing smoke from painted walls in our 30's farmhouse using a product called Advanage 20x (I know that seems misspelled but it isn't) and the bottle says reorder at (708) 331-8390, or the website is advanage20x.com. I don't work for them, but I swear on this after trying lots of products, including vinegar, citrasolv, goo gone, pine sol, rubbing alcohol, and even Kilz (which just stunk up the house for weeks and still bled nicotine brown over wood, and then the smoke was still under it, and just, yuck).

We found that what worked best was to spray on the Advanage at full strength, wait several seconds and wipe off with a warm water rag, repeat. Keep a bucket of warm rinse water nearby. WEAR THICK, WATERPROOF GLOVES! The lather/wash water will become laced with nicotine, and if you get it on your skin, it can absorb and make you feel very ill. Ask me how I know this.
    It's terribly time consuming, but our yellow paint turned back to white, and we were able to use regular latex paint afterwards with no gross smoke smell or bleeding. It changed the smell of the entire house. Go forth and conquer!