10 x 10 spare bedroom. Old packed-down carpet. I cut the carpet with a utility knife into 3 ft wide strips, rolled it up and packed it out. Removing the carpet tack strips took a while. I then filled the nail holes with Quick Crete Concrete Patch. Once dried I gave it a light sand. Quick Crete Concrete Patch was $7.20 and I used about 1/2 of the 2 lb bag
Paper Bag Floor
I always wanted to do a paper bag floor so I did! In this case I did it with brown craft paper. There are so many craft papers to choose from you could do anything!
Time to crumple paper! I bought 2 rolls of craft paper from Michael's. They had various weights so I choose a middle weight one. My thoughts were the paper being a bit heavier would cover imperfections in the concrete and it did that well. Each roll was 85 sq ft. With over lapping as you glue down I had just enough for my 10 x 10 room(100 sq ft). I crumpled in the evening watching TV. I highly recommend you separate the straight edge pieces from the rest as these work well along the baseboards. Each piece of torn paper was approx 1 foot square. If the pieces were bigger, I found it hard to smooth out when wet with glue. Each roll was $6.99
White school glue. 1 gallon did my 10 x 10 room. Mix it 1 to 1 with water. 1 gallon was $29.00
Time to start gluing! Make sure you vacuum well then vacuum again. Any little bumps will show. I did sand a couple of rough spots. I let each piece of crumpled paper soak in the 1 to 1 glue/water mix for 2-3 minutes. I would toss in 3-4 pieces at once. I mix 4 c water to 4 c glue each time. I worked on this for a couple of hours each night - total of about 10 - 12 hrs. I tried wearing gloves but they only filled with glue lol. If you let the paper soak too long, it is like trying to un-crumple a wet tissue - not good. Smooth the wet paper down thoroughly. Makes sure you get out any air bubbles and wrinkles.
This is the floor done. The pattern looks like suede almost. You can see the different shades in the crinkled parts nicely. This picture does not do it justice!
Here is the finished floor! I used a high gloss polyurethane - 5 coats out of one gallon. I just rolled it on with a paint roller on a broom stick. The big spot is the sun shining on it and shows how shiny it is!
I love it!!
One gallon was $19.50 and did 5 coats