My Patch of Blue Sky
My Patch of Blue Sky
  • Greensboro, NC

Add A Hand-Painted Raised Pattern To A Lamp Shade Using Textura Paste!

Use Wood Icing™ Textura Paste to get the raised look of this hand-painted artsy pattern. Find a retailer near you at WoodIcing.com.
add a hand painted raised pattern to a lamp shade using textura paste, chalk paint, crafts, painting
Don’t you love expensive custom lamp shades? Get the look here!
I discovered the lamp and shade buried under camping gear in my attic over the weekend and that it went from bland dorm room to designer gorgeous in no time? Wood Icing™ Textura Paste is my new favorite play product coupled with Chalk Paint® and Royal Design Studio stencil cremes (royaldesignstudio.com).
Place some Wood Icing™ Textura Paste in a small container and add a bit of water to the consistency of pudding. Pour the mix into a small squeeze bottle. Practice making patterns.
Make designs on the lampshade making sure the mixture does not get thick and drip. Let dry completely. Paint on a base coat of Duck Egg Blue Chalk Paint®. Let dry.
On a palette of glass, tin foil or an old cookie tin put out colors of Royal Design Studio stencil cremes and choose two that are similar in tone and intensity. (I used Peacock Fancy and Lime Shine.) Use a large brush and paint on alternating colors of stencil creme until you like the look. Let dry and enjoy!
My assistant was really exhausted after drinking some paint water and watching me work...

My Patch of Blue Sky

• Pamela King

Do you have to work quickly with the wood icing? Does it become hard or thicken fast?

• KASSY

what about using hot glue?

• Solange Belleforte

I have used hot glue to create swirly texture and then I buffed it with a gilding paste. I don't know if you can paint over it; I didn't try on my project as the swirly bits were a trim. I have also used paintable acrylic caulking, the kind in the smallish bottle with a pointy tip you snip off.

• KASSY

Thank you

• Lisa Sinclair

I too thought of a hot glue gun. I hae seen it done that way, and it was painted. But it's always wonderful to have different options, and different ways of doing things!
  • Nanci

CAN YOU PAINT WHITE ON A TAUPE SATINY SHADE?

• Rosemary

Is the kitty okay ? Did she really drink paint water?