Smart Shelving From Car Accessories - Autocycle Upcycle

47 Views

I always love a good DIY challenge, so I was really thrilled when I was asked to join the an Autocycle Challenge. I had to buy something car-related from Gumtree, a secondhand online store, and upcycle the item into a covetable home décor piece. Let me show you how I turned an unwanted car ramp into über cool shelving in 6 quick steps!

Time: 2 HoursCost: $50Difficulty: Easy
  • smart shelving from car accessories autocycle upcycle

Besides the car ramps, you will need matte black spray paint, 4 pieces of pine veneer ply and some clear wood varnish (I had left over from another project).

STEP 1:

The supplier was kind enough to cut the plywood to size, and all I had to do was to sand them with 100 grit sandpaper. But when cutting wood always measure twice: the ramps are tapered so each shelf has a different length and width! 

STEP 2:

A quick coat of clear varnish seals the wood and protects it from stains and other damage. Just look at that gorgeous grain!

STEP 3:

Spray the car ramp steel with black spray paint. I really love the matte colour and surprisingly I only needed a single coating! Check on the spray paint can’s instructions - f ind out why! 

And something else to keep in mind when spraying outside: don’t stand down-wind from the object you’re spraying 

STEP 4:

In order to secure the shelves to the frame, I drilled 2 small holes through the base of each frame. Now you can put the whole thing together!

See how I screw-fixed the shelves and assembled the rest here.

It was really very easy to do and I love the result: clean, simple, and with a trendy industrial element!

Happy Upcycling!

Suggested materials for this project:

• 4 plywood shelves
  • 2 car ramps
  • Black matte spray paint
Homeology.co.za

Ask a Question