Smart Shelving From Car Accessories - Autocycle Upcycle

$50

I always love a good DIY challenge, so I was really thrilled when I was asked to join the an Autocycle Challenge. I had to buy something car-related from Gumtree, a secondhand online store, and upcycle the item into a covetable home décor piece. Let me show you how I turned an unwanted car ramp into über cool shelving in 6 quick steps!

Besides the car ramps, you will need matte black spray paint, 4 pieces of pine veneer ply and some clear wood varnish (I had left over from another project).

STEP 1:

The supplier was kind enough to cut the plywood to size, and all I had to do was to sand them with 100 grit sandpaper. But when cutting wood always measure twice: the ramps are tapered so each shelf has a different length and width! 

STEP 2:

A quick coat of clear varnish seals the wood and protects it from stains and other damage. Just look at that gorgeous grain!

STEP 3:

Spray the car ramp steel with black spray paint. I really love the matte colour and surprisingly I only needed a single coating! Check on the spray paint can’s instructions - f ind out why! 

And something else to keep in mind when spraying outside: don’t stand down-wind from the object you’re spraying 

STEP 4:

In order to secure the shelves to the frame, I drilled 2 small holes through the base of each frame. Now you can put the whole thing together!

See how I screw-fixed the shelves and assembled the rest here.

It was really very easy to do and I love the result: clean, simple, and with a trendy industrial element!

Have a look at the original post here to see what the winner did!

Happy Upcycling!

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Homeology.co.za

• Lori B

This is a really cool idea! Very creative! Nice job

• Cathy

This is a really nice project - love it!

• Bonnie

Won't the shelves bow down after awhile .

• Melody Hill Kelley

That’s an optical illusion as the metal ends the boards are sitting on is at an angle giving the boards a bowed look.

• Tonia Lee

It is really nice, it look like something you would see in a high end store, super cool

• Shirley

Very creative and looks nice. My only problem with it is that Car Ramps ; out of necessity for their actual use , are Heavy! I know because I have had to move them at times. Of course that would only be a problem on those occasions when you

wanted or needed to move them. I like the idea.