Homeology.co.za
Homeology.co.za
  • South Africa

Smart Shelving From Car Accessories - Autocycle Upcycle

$50

I always love a good DIY challenge, so I was really thrilled when I was asked to join the an Autocycle Challenge. I had to buy something car-related from Gumtree, a secondhand online store, and upcycle the item into a covetable home décor piece. Let me show you how I turned an unwanted car ramp into über cool shelving in 6 quick steps!

smart shelving from car accessories autocycle upcycle

Besides the car ramps, you will need matte black spray paint, 4 pieces of pine veneer ply and some clear wood varnish (I had left over from another project).

STEP 1:

The supplier was kind enough to cut the plywood to size, and all I had to do was to sand them with 100 grit sandpaper. But when cutting wood always measure twice: the ramps are tapered so each shelf has a different length and width! 

STEP 2:

A quick coat of clear varnish seals the wood and protects it from stains and other damage. Just look at that gorgeous grain!

STEP 3:

Spray the car ramp steel with black spray paint. I really love the matte colour and surprisingly I only needed a single coating! Check on the spray paint can’s instructions - f ind out why! 

And something else to keep in mind when spraying outside: don’t stand down-wind from the object you’re spraying 

STEP 4:

In order to secure the shelves to the frame, I drilled 2 small holes through the base of each frame. Now you can put the whole thing together!

See how I screw-fixed the shelves and assembled the rest here.

It was really very easy to do and I love the result: clean, simple, and with a trendy industrial element!

Have a look at the original post here to see what the winner did!

Happy Upcycling!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 11:47 PM - More info
Homeology.co.za

• Mario Solis

Looks good but without any support in the middle? shelfs are gonna start sagging with anything you put on them

• Homeology.co.za

Hi Mario! You can add struts to support the shelves or use shorter wood panels for shelves.

• Barb Klotz

what if you turn the sheles around would the that give the wood shelving more support

• Chrissy Wells

I see what your saying...with what she has put on the shelves, they are starting to sag...I would shorten the distance of the ramps and use pine or better boards, you could also attach angle iron to the back or a metal rods in the middle, turning it around I don't see it....doesn't seem like it would look right.....i think I would bring the ramps in closer, so the boards extend out 4 to 6 inches.....you'd have your middle support, and shelves on the end to add knick knacks, small flower pots, small lamp, books, or whatever.

It is a clever idea, would be great for a boys room or man cave...

• Theresa

Could you tell what is hanging on the wall above project? Thanks

• Lisa Sinclair

What a great look! Very creative too!

• Joann
    34 minutes ago

I love it. To the person who wondered about sagging shelf, you could use thicker wood. That's one solution.