Why are my hanging baskets drying up and dying?

Garden Up Green - CaroleMlo24925652Peggy Burnette
+3

Help! I "had" beautiful petunia hanging baskets. In this heat I have been watering them twice a day, but they are all dying. I soak them really well in the morning, and then again when I come home from work. I don't know what I've done wrong. They look as if they hadn't been watered in a week, all dry and brittle. Could I been giving them too much water?

• Johnavallance82

Hello there, give them a trim and feed them to give them a boost. Like use they are not used to suck a long period without rain. Maybe add water cristals next time too.

• Jeanne Grunert

They will get that stick-like look when the hot weather arrives; petunias tend to like some periods fo cool weather.. Trimming them is a good idea, as is adding some of the water crystals John mentions. These hold the moisture in the soil. A bit of 10-10-10 fertilizer would also help. You may want to try moving them to a partial shade area to see if that helps.

• Mlo24925652

Thanks for the tips. I actually did that yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

• Peggy Burnette

Hello this is Peggy. You may want to put them in an area where they get morning sun and keep them out of the hot sun till it get a bit cooler. Are you feeding them? Petunias love fertilizer. Good luck

• Mlo24925652

Thanks Peggy.

• Garden Up Green - Carole

Make sure you're not watering in the heat of the day. In the evening or early in the morning should be better. It's also possible if the plants have grown they're root bound. Meaning you have more roots than soil. A possible transplant may be in order.