Cecilia
Cecilia
  • Spring, TX

How to use this space?

JewellmartinMag28386724Catherine Deirdre Rodden
+3

I want to take away the fish tank and have a more productive space here: shelves?

what canI do?

q how to use this space
  • Johnavallance82

Hello Cecelia,

Yes I think I would build Glass cabinet (because it is near the door the doors will help cut down the dust. Display nice things and books, photos etc....

• Valleycat1

I would remove the tank and live with just the low counter for a little while to see what the space calls for. You might decide to remove the entire counter, or decide you want some kind of ‘command center’ organizer or some cubbies to neaten caps, mail, purses, keys or whatever. You might just want one or two low shallow shelves on the wall or one side of the countertop, or might decide it is more used from the room side than the entry side, like a desk or something.

• Cecilia

Thanks!

It sounds wise to have the space empty and wait...love the idea!

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden

Personally, I would look into getting some of those wooden crates. I would have some with opening facing the couch side (to stow drinks or books or remote) and some facing door side (to drop keys, purse, mail). If you get ones with solid bottom, that creates space to hang a photo or paint design or even add hooks depending on your need.

• Mag28386724

Or you could make a sofa table with shelving underneath, if you want. Place it behind your sofa/divan/couch. Good Luck!
  • Jewellmartin

I like the fish tank whether you move it or leave it where it is. You obviously collect bags of different sorts. You could take off the lid, and screw hooks into the underside. On the topside, cut a piece of foam board or styrofoam to fit the top. Apply glue along the edges of the top and press the foam board or styrofoam down where the screws com through the top. Trim the edges. Now you have a new top on which to display items, and hooks inside to display others, maybe handbags or sparkly purses. The lid will still come off, and you have a beautiful display case. Best wishes, Cecilia! ☺️