How can you remove popcorn ceiling paint?

Rose BroadwayMda21334813B. Enne

• B. Enne

First of all,you need to make sure it doesn't contain asbestos or lead.

Afterwards, if the ceiling has not been painted with oil paint. Spray a patch with water, and scrape it with a putty/ other wide knife. Try not to do it on too much of an angle, so that you don't gouge the drywall/tape.

Some people cover the whole room in dropcloths first, and scrape big passes and let everything fall. I find it leaves a bigger mess, and the dust eventually settles, (no matter how you hard you try to avoid it) in your vent system.

I prefer to use warm water, and I go on a step ladder, and use a box lid to catch the fallout. I do small patches at a time.

I too did the dropcloth thing, and bought the specialized scraper with a bag holder. It was a waste of money. After a few passes it left gaps, the bag would sometimes fall, and it got very heavy.

This is what works best for me, and it is much easier on my shoulders. I have done this a few times, and I find it leaves less damage = less repairs later. It also helps me control the dust, which is a definite bonus.

• Mda21334813

Thanks so much for your response. I think your method using warm water is the best one.
  • Rose Broadway

I would give anything if I had seen this video about 10 years ago. This guy is a genius and I'll bet there will be something like this on the market before you know it!