Yvonne
Yvonne
  • Winston Salem, NC

What is the best way to cover a popcorn ceiling?

RussbowMEGBrenda
+6

• I've seen them covered with planking and they looked beautiful.
  • Brenda

I would suggest spraying small sections at a time and scraping it off with a plastic scrapper.. Very easy to do but messy. If you are careful, you won't have much patching, if any. You may want to sand a little once dried. Time consuming, but inexpensive.

• MEG

Ive seen ceilings covered with tin panels from Home Depot/Lowes. Looks stunning and no painting/maintenance. I removed all the popcorn ceilings in my entire house and painted it smooth. Beautiful.

• Russbow

Be certain of WHEN it was installed, prior to a certain date, likely has VERY toxic ingredients, research it.

• Russbow

Likely has asbestos. The clean air act in 78, outlawed it, but all inventories of' material were grand fathered in, thus, it could have been used through the 80's. So if built BEFORE the clean air act. USE ALL PRECAUTIONS FOR ASBESTOS.