DIY Tree Stumps Into Yard Decorations Seasonal

139 Views

I made a careful decision to cut down this mulberry tree in my yard. I told the tree service to leave the stumps and the height I wanted them to be. I have TWO tree stumps, and I decided that this year, I would like to decorate into two tropical sisters. Here is what I did.

Time: 3 DaysCost: $30Difficulty: Easy
  • diy tree stumps into yard decorations seasonal

I had to make sure all the sap was not leaking out of the stumps and I used baking soda, comet and some bleach to dry up the sticky sap. I washed the stumps one day, then the next day repeated the process. The tree was just cut down. See the video for full details. Then, I started on the top of the thinner stump.

I used screws and pipecleaners to tie down the solar lights. These are geraniums solar lights purchased from collectionsetc on line. I used leis from Oriental Trading and decorated and screwed them down.

I screwed on a fake lizard from Dollartree. The pipe cleaners will not show where I braced everything, the leis will cover them. I was going to use fake ivy but did not need too.

Here is a close up photo on how I used the cleaners and screws. Once I braced all the lights and materials down, I worked on the body and their dresses.

I used these bras and a table skirt and leis from Oriental Trading. Some of the decorations came from DollarTree. I tied them with pipecleaners in the back.

This is seasonal, so when winter sets in here in Michigan, I can remove it all. I can reuse the solars lights in my garden next year. Nothing will be wasted. But only seasonal decor.

...it is all very pretty up close. I added painted faces and eyes, nose and mouths as well.

This is before the faces were added. I landscape the entire area as well. Tiki solar lights from Amazon. They really bring out the theme-looks like fire but child and pet safe!! They work until morning! I have a few more around the yards.

I used Krylon clear gloss outdoor protection spray on the faces for the sun will eventually fade the colors-not know. This is the thinner stump.

This is the face on the wider stump. Notice I used two light bulb solar lights for earrings. By the way, I ordered the hand painted faces from Etsy. They came from the United Kingdom and she did them the way I specified. I was pleased.

My grand daughter took this picture of me adding the faces. This photo allows you to see how tall these stumps really are. Next year I am thinking about making two castle towers, place dragons and create other decor with the stumps. I am a Game of Thrones fanatic! So maybe medievil theme?

My grand daughter loves these two tropical sisters.

Evening view. Find us on Facebook and Pinterest and Youtube. Since June 20th, I, nor my puppy, has seen a raccoon or opossum. We no longer have a thousand berries supplied in our yard! I am at ease, just a bit, when my pup does her business outside in the early mornings. The yard stays lite and she can see her way around, too.

MANY Blessing from us to you and your family!!

Live video of the solar lights: https://youtu.be/4I5JYZitlVs

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 15, 2018 10:37 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask a Question