Antiquing a Faux Mirror

197K Views

I love the look of antiques, especially mirrors but most true antique mirrors are quite expensive. I found a way to get the antique look and not spend half a fortune.

Time: 2 HoursCost: $7Difficulty: Easy
  • antiquing a faux mirror

I also have a "thing" about old windows so I thought why not incorporate my two loves - mirrors and windows - into one project.

• antiquing a faux mirror

I began by flipping the window onto with the wrong side facing up. Which is the "wrong side" of a window? That would be a personal preference. This window had some hardware on it and I wanted that to show on the right side.

Next I used painter's tape and covered the entire window frame.

You could also do this project using the glass from a picture frame. You would use the same steps.

• antiquing a faux mirror

I used thinner painter's tape and covered each window sash.

• antiquing a faux mirror

Next I mixed equal parts of vinegar and water and put it into a spray bottle. You can use white vinegar - I didn't have any on hand so I used apple cider.

• antiquing a faux mirror

I shook up the vinegar/water mixture and then sprayed it onto each window pane. I tried to spray large drops of water not a fine mist.

• antiquing a faux mirror

Once all the window panes were sprayed with vinegar/water and while it was still wet, I sprayed each pane with Krylon "Looking Glass" spray paint. I gave each pane two coats of paint.

• antiquing a faux mirror

Using a paper towel, I gently dabbed each window pane removing the paint where the vinegar/water had been sprayed. (The paint will not adhere to the glass where it was sprayed.) I had to do this fairly quickly before the vinegar/water mixture dried.

• antiquing a faux mirror

Once the paint was dry, I removed all of the painter's tape.

• antiquing a faux mirror

Using black craft paint, I painted over the "looking glass" paint.

• antiquing a faux mirror

As you can see, the black paint shows through where the "looking glass" paint was removed - giving you an antique look.

• antiquing a faux mirror

I added two screws and picture wire to the back and hung my new "antique" mirror on the wall. Love the chippiness of the window and love the mirror affect.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 18, 2018 11:59 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.