• Hometalker
  • Canada
Asked on Jul 10, 2018

Which type of flooring and soundproofing are best?

Jeremy L. BaumgartnerEleanor Korf


I would like to replace the flooring in my suite running from front to back; kitchen through dining room/living room and hallway. I have a basement suite so would like to soundproof with underlay, caulking and installation type. I also have a small dog. Currently there is a high density high-end laminate in the kitchen and carpet in the other areas. I want to get rid of the carpet and change to a hard flooring. This will be my one and only chance to do any sound muffling and I will not change this flooring again as I am just retiring, so want something that will last. Any suggestions appreciated.

2 answers
  • Eleanor Korf
    on Jul 10, 2018

    I believe there is a product that you can put under hardwood floors that would deaden the sound. I would do some research to se what and where that product can be found, and also find out if that would be best for a basement application.

  • Jeremy L. Baumgartner
    on Oct 19, 2018

    They make a flooring insulation that is designed for apartments and similar living situations.

Your comment...