How to get rid of mice?

DfmAnnCharlene
+2

hello. How to rid mice?

• Cynthia H

Hi! I feel your pain. I finally got rid of some mice with cleaning, cats and traps. The cleaning because they made such a mess and I had to go through so much. My cats now have access to the rooms they were getting into to, which discourages reenty. Fill any entry points with steel wool and mess (they can crawl through really tiny openings. The traps, disgusting as I find them, finally solved the last of the problem. Exterminators are an option too.
  • Charlene

At one time, we had not mice but rats. I went to the local County Ag Agent, and he gave me some chunks of cornmeal looking stuff. He said to throw them wherever we saw signs of the creatures and place a bowl of water near by. I did so and within a few days there were no rats or further signs of them.

That product he gave me is available on the market at any Grain and Feed Store under the name "Just One Bite". The product is NOT poisonous, is NOT harmful to pets, and is NOT harmful to children. Since it is nothing more than cornmeal and bicarbonate compressed into chunks, it is only dangerous to animals that cannot belch: mice, rats, squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, and the like (in other words--rodents).

I actually had to build little cages around mine out of chicken wire to stop my little terrier from eating them; she loved those crazy cakes. Always place water near by. They get thirsty and drink. It causes gas and bursts their stomachs. There was never a smell--just dried carcuses when I cleaned. I buy it by the bucket now. Spread it everywhere in the fall when they start coming in for the winter. Good luck!

• Ann

Just went through this. You have to first make sure any teeny entrances are sealed shut to prevent more from coming in. You can add rat poison in the outside corners of your house as well, but it’s not safe forpets. Then, mousetraps set with peanut butter wherever you saw them or anywhere near food or water. Somebody has to empty the traps (sorry). Do NOT believe the myth that if you set out poison (e.g. DCon or Tomcat) they will eat it, run to water and die. Many are immune to these, and if they do die, you do not want them to die in the house..the decomp smell in their hiding places is terrible. Check the traps once a week and by the 3rd or so, they’ll be gone as evidenced by empty traps. If you go the professional pest control route, they will do this same thing and charge you up to $1000. Any handy person can do this. Note that springtime is their mating and birthing time, and they can have litters every few weeks. They’ll be seeking soft things to nest in (like my kitchen linen drawer) and in fall, will want to come in and be warm. Sorry if this is too much...just wanted to save you the research and some $$$.

• Dfm

Live catch traps work well with large amounts of mice present. The most I caught at one time was 50. Mice can hatch a litter every month.