DIY Desk Using a Hollow Core Door and Some Cube Storage

$140

Desks for Any Room…

I have wanted new desks for our two boys’ rooms for a LONG time. I’d been looking for a new project, and a custom DIY Desk was it!

I decided to use Hollow Core Doors and Cube Storage Units to make these desks.

diy desk using a hollow core door and some cube storage, DIY Desk Materials
DIY Desk Materials

Step 1 in making a DIY Desk Using a Hollow Core Door and Cube Storage, Put Together the Cubes…

Assemble the cubes. I purchased a 2 cube unit and a 4 cube unit at Target and put them together myself. It took less than an hour to make all 4 units.

diy desk using a hollow core door and some cube storage

Step 2, Addressing the Height Issue…

The cubes are 14 inches deep and 30 inches high, and the hollow core door/desk top is 24 inches deep, so we decided we needed some table legs to hold up the back. They don’t make table legs that are 30 inches high, or at least any that we could find, so we purchased the 28″ size. Since we needed to add 2 inches in height so the legs would reach the floor, we ended up buying 2, 1″ x 4″ x 96″ boards. We cut them down to 80″ and then glued them to the door using this wood glue. See below…Then we put some weights on them and let them dry overnight. (They did have 36″ table legs that we could have bought and then cut down to 30″, but we choose to do it this way instead. We thought the extra wood would hold the table leg brackets better, rather than just screwing them into the hollow core door.)

We still needed one more inch to make it 30 inches high, so we cut 4″ x 4″ pieces using the left over wood from the previous step and then glued those to the corners and installed the brackets for the table legs. We also put some screws in, as you can see below just to reinforce the board.

Step 3, Painting…

Paint the doors and the table legs. I decided to keep it simple and just paint them white. After I painted, I sealed everything with Minwax Polycrylic Satin Water-based Polyurethane. I used 3 coats. Everything dried so fast since I was working in my extremely hot 92 degree garage.

Step 4, Assembly…

Once everything was dried and sealed we brought all the pieces up to the kids rooms to assemble them. We glued the cubes to the bottom of the doors and then let them dry for about 4 hours. Then we screwed in the legs and carefully flipped the desks over and placed them where we wanted them.

Step 5, The Finishing Touches…

This was my favorite step! I found these peel and stick rolls of white board paper on Amazon. They measure 78.74″ x 17.7″ inch which is a tad smaller than the door/desk top which is 24″ x 80″ which was fine with me. I carefully stuck them to the top of the desk making sure to get rid of any bubbles, and my son quickly got to work drawing a race track. He can erase and re-do as he wishes! Pretty cool huh? Or, when school starts back up they can use them for solving math problems or whatever homework they are doing. I had thought about painting the tops with chalk board paint, but then found the white board paper and liked it much better.

Please visit my blog for many more DIY projects.

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 20, 2018 11:09 PM - More info
Jodi House - the House house

• JartsyDesigns

I've been pulling my hair out trying to configure the current dining room into a study/office. I've tried cabinets and counters, Ikea's desk that attaches to the upright vertical cubby bookshelves still, I could not figure out a way to extend the desk top where I needed it, until now!! You put the "excess door/desk top" BEHIND your cubby units, BRILLIANT! Personally, I think the legs make it portable, and looks as though it can be turned and sat at from both sides! You'll see a return in your investment for sure! The white board paper, is awesome! I hadn't thought of that but I'll be borrowing that idea as well! If you wanted a pull out tray, Amazon has them. I saw you'd asked in a previous post. You did a GREAT job and really helped me! I could have only told you they make "leg extensions". They look like cubes of wood. And you attach them with the metal plates and screws (all provided) to add length to your existing table legs. Your way is AWESOME! Great job and thanks for the details in the post. Much appreciated!

• Wow! Thank you! I am glad I could help you out. My husband, who is my helper and builder, is not one to look at other people’s tutorials and ideas on hometalk or Pinterest like I would. He just comes up with things in his head and they are not always ‘the right way’ or the way others have done things, but they always work. Glad you like this!

• Jamie Tyler Smith

what a wonderful build, it would work so well in my sewing/craft room, thank you for sharing!