Patti
Patti

How to preserve wood furniture for midwestern weather

DfmGinnyKathy
+2

I have an old wood chair I want to paint for outside during the spring and summer, how do I protect it against our midwestern weather?

• Kathy

You can find Marine Polyurethane or Varathane at most home centers, it should last.
    Kathy
  • Dfm

If you wood chair is naked...I think I’d use something like Thompson’s water seal. Give it 2 coats. If that’s not your thing, use products that you would use to paint the out side of a house. Primer, exterior house paint. Since the chair is a smaller job, consider checking in with a re-store...you might be able to find a bargain On paint.The other cheap place...ie free might be your county dump. Paints are considered hazardous material some put them in a shed at the dump to be picked up bY a hazmat truck. Go flitch some.
  • Ginny

There are plastic covers you can buy through catalogs or at Home Depot and Lowes to protect furniture from the weather.
  • Dfm

been there don that. The winds ripped them off.