Ashley
Ashley
  • Chesapeake, VA

Ideas for a fireplace makeover?

FlipturnCry22488062Donna
+3

my fireplace needs a lot of love. I’m trying to avoid removing the tiles. I was hoping someone could give me ideas on what to do with it. I’ve been googling, I’ve been on Pinterest but I can’t find a fireplace that looks like mine.

q fireplace makeover
  • Maura

Pict helpful
  • Rose Broadway

Ashley, sometimes it helps to just be able to see a lot of pictures to get an idea of what you like and what you can do to refurbish an item. I hope these help.

• Bijous

Hi Ashley, could you give us a little more help so we can help you? Are you looking to make it stand out more? As it is now, it is on the contemporary side. Are you looking to make it more traditional? Thanks in advance for the additional information!

• Donna

Hi Ashley. One thing you could do is plaster over your fireplace tiles (U Tube has video instructions). Then, to take it a step further, you could paint a faux marble design all over it and seal it. There are decorating art books on how to do this. Here are photos of a couple of previously white plaster fireplaces I painted for two customer years ago. I practiced on pieces of white board. The veining was done with a feather. Fun project!

• Cry22488062

Not sure what style you are going for, but if you have tile that you do not want to remove, you could paint the tile in a stencil pattern. It would make your fireplace a focal point.

• Flipturn

Remove the small black candles and the black iron tool set. Neither does anything to enhance the look of the fireplace, and especially the tools are very dated looking.

What type of a fireplace is it? Wood burning? How much do you actually use it as a functioning heat source?, or is it mainly decorative?

Without doing anything to the tiles, it still does have lots of potential to be a timeless attractive focal point in the room if you decorate it with contrasting colours.