OceeB
OceeB
  • Hometalk Helper
  • United States

My Granny's Stools

$35

My Granny lived to be 102+. I will forever remember going to her house and sitting on these stools at the little short counter along the wall of windows in her kitchen. She had my uncle cut the stools down and she didn't like them as just hard wood and put a cover on them (a toilet seat fuzzy cover  ). I hope I can find a photo at the counter. At a family only estate sale, I purchased these and let my parents use them for plant stands for 11 years. They are now back home with me and I am going to reintroduce them into regular use with a little makeover.

Need a Little Love...
Need a Little Love...

I started by cleaning them and adding wood glue to the separated wood pieces on seats. I do not have clamps so am making due my way

my granny s stools

Side view shows the pre-primed appearance and the condition/extent of uneven and separated seat boards.

Love my Granny's stools & their imperfections

I primed the legs and the primer turned a weird beige as it dried..I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me in the heat. I am guessing the discoloring of primer is the result of years of nicotine/smoke they endured, even after I had cleaned them. Ps- There is an extra table in the pic as I was repainting a kid's table for my daughter.

my granny s stools

3 stools primed and 1 still taking on glue. I actually had to tape underside of seat so the wood glue would not drip through. It still was very uneven so I added some wood putty to try and even up the seat surface. That helped but still was not smooth; probably due to inexperienced user and the working conditions- it was HOT out there! 95 degrees..

Would've, Could've = Should've
Would've, Could've = Should've

Attempted to smooth out by adding wood filler and yes did this after I had primed 3 of them.. Not on purpose. Just was not happy with the seats.

Disclaimer: I am a DIY worker in motion and learning on the job... Would've, could've = Should've

my granny s stools

After 2 primer coats, I finally was ready to add cute colors and spray painted with these two awesome colors. Pistachio and Seabreeze...

my granny s stools

Next... My first decoupage project and I am using napkins that I removed the 2nd ply. I wanted one stool to be kind of vintage themed and my sweet neighbor Charlotte gave me these butterfly napkins. Colors were perfect.

Wished That I had enough for both pistachio stools.

my granny s stools

Separating the 2-ply napkins. Pretty easy.. wet your thumb and press against the white side corner and it will pull apart.

my granny s stools

For the Seabreeze stools I went with tissue paper and did a full stool cover instead of in pieces.

3 items needed... Mod Podge, sponge brush and tissue paper

Methid: Work fast

my granny s stools

Smoothing out with a sandwich bag

my granny s stools

This is after mod podge was applied on the stool, pressed paper down starting from one side and smoothing over with a sandwich bag over my hand. Watch any youtube on decoupage... I cannot give you any new advice YET

my granny s stools

topcoat of mod podge on the butterfly stool.

my granny s stools

Stools drying and the bottoms are not finished as I did not glue down at this point.. I could not decide what to do there at this point. I am still considering using a nail file to age them all a little on the edges. Fourth stool I went with napkins with the circle detail. The napkin only had this on the edges so the seat is a lot of 1, 2 and 3 circle pieces glued down.

my granny s stools

Okay, I added a second coat of mod podge after 24 hours (make sure does not feel tacky) to tops and the bottoms are now mod podged to underside of seat. I may add some color to the rungs but this is it for now except a couple coats of varnish to finish off.

The entire project took about 4 days of time.. but I strung it out over 2 months as had other things pop up including rainstorms. I literally was painting and a downpour came and I moved everything to where I was essentially painted out of my entrance.. I waited the rain out LOL

Hope you enjoy!

• Michelle

You did a great job....how are they holding up? I've used mod podge on a table too, and it's still going. That's why I asked. Glad you saved these beauties!!

• OceeB

Hi Michelle

Thank you, So far so good! Love to see your table too!

• Linda Snyder Kahn

How do you keep the decoupage item from being sticky even months later?

• OceeB

Linda,

These are not sticky.. from research the first coat has to completely dry before adding second coat. I let these almost bake outdoors in the heat and then had a fan blowing all night. I wonder if you add a sealer varnish coat if that will cover the stickiness and finally dry completely. Might do a test area ?

• JuJu

Why did you need varnish ? I thought several coats of Mod Podge would be enough.

• OceeB

Hi I actually haven’t varnished yet. Just during research remembered saying that as these will get a lot of use. Right now they are being used as side tables for drinks and things though but know they will be sat on too

• Gena Duke

Memories enhanced! Way to go...…:) .

• OceeB

Gena, Thank you and I am happy with them and if I tire I will sand and age and try the next idea.

• NaniJen

Absolutely LOVE them! I have 2, almost exact, stools & have been looking for some re-do inspiration. You have given me the inspiration I've been looking for! Thank you! I now will be looking for the napkins to go with my decor! 😊😊😊