Rose
Rose
  • Canada

How do I paint teak furniture that has gone dark grey?

JewellmartinMauraBarbara Kissler
+2

about 15 years old table and chairs.

• Amanda

Hi Rose. I would lightly sand the furniture. Then you use teak oil. You can get it tinted or just clear. It brings the teak back to life. Good Luck!

• Barbara Kissler

Teak is a wonderful water repellent wood that weathers to a beautiful dark grey. If you choose to paint it, you drastically reduce the value of the piece and create a maintenance nightmare. If you want color, consider cushions or covers but don’t paint your teak. You could sand it to reveal unweathered wood, but it will age grey again.

• Maura

I would not paint teak. I would add oil/stain and there is a protective coating to go over Im pretty sure...

• Jewellmartin

You have a treasure, Rose. Tighten any screws and bolts. Clean every surface, including the underside, with any degreaser, like Dawn plus water and white vinegar. This should lighten the wood. Very gently sand all of the wood. If you can get teak oil, wipe on a light coat all over. If not, use another natural oil, even olive oil. At this point, you can decide whether to paint or seal the set. Your treasure should last many more years. ☺️