Pat Mankins
Pat Mankins
  • Deltona, FL

How to replace my sliding glass doors with folding glass sliders?

Pat MankinsMotzoPdmkiss
+2

Trying to find information on replacing my sliding glass doors with the folding ones that will open up all the way to expose my patio, indoor-outdoor living. I have been given so many pieces of conflicting information by so many contractors that I’m not sure what to do next. There are small narrow windows on both sides about 1ft away from the door. I’m trying to figure out if I can remove the windows and put in a bigger door or if I have to leave the windows.

q i want to replace my sliding glass doors with folding glass sliders
  • They are way cool! I have seen them and would love them myself. Shop around. Visit all window showrooms in your area. Not cheap, but it is an investment in your home and a great selling feature should you want to sell.

http://panoramicdoors.com/

• Sharon

Most people who put in panoramic doors, do the whole wall... but I did find one that looks like a regular patio slider.... https://m.lowes.com/windowsdoors/patio-doors/folding.html

If you do the whole wall, you will have to expand your outside deck to make a seamless walking surface

• Pdmkiss

i love mine!
    , I did what your wanting to do My contractor said it would be more structurally sound to take out everything and have door specially made for the area, And then I legally had to add new steps all the way across the opening
  • Motzo

Of course you can remove the windows and all. Your cost will come from having to install a large enough header to support the weight of the entire ceiling over the area, if you don't have one there already. But just like PDM's, it would be well worth it.
  • Pat Mankins

Thank you for the helpful answer. That’s what we are trying to figure out. Is there a full header across the top or just above the door! Guess I’m going to have to punch some holes!