Gail Graham
Gail Graham
  • Woodstock, MD

Cicada Bees-How can I get rid of them????

Jan ClarkBetsyTay33749307

I have Cicada bees on my front porch, but I cannot find their nest. How can I get rid of them if I don't know where they are nesting?

• Tay33749307

I think they nest in the ground. Usually you will find a fairly large hole on a mound, kind of looks like a fire ant mound.

Hi Gail: Here's a site that just may help you: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ground-Digger-Wasps-%28Cicada-Killers%29-from-Your-Lawn

One thing that I have done is to take a large plastic pop (yeah, I'm in Michigan and we say 'pop') bottle, cut the top 1/3 off, remove the cap and throw it away, and in the bottom part of the bottle, put a mixture of something sweet and water, like pop and water, sugar and water, anything and water:) Then put the top 1/3 that you cut off, upside down into the bottle so the opening is about an inch from the liquid. The bees/wasps, will go in to get the liquid, but can't get out and will drown. You can make several of these and place them around the area. Be careful where you walk, as they nest in the ground and you don't want to step on the nest. If you want to try a wasp killer on the nest, once you find it, soak it liberally, at night when they are asleep, and then run like heck back into the house, which has all of the lights turned off because the wasps that get out will go to the light and, alas, you. One thing I did, when I had ground wasps, was to get a couple of tiki torches,and put them between the back yard (not the house) and nest, and lit them at night. I then soaked the nest and ran into the house as fast as I could go, which surprised me as I picked up a cat that was walking by at the same time. The wasps saw the light and flew into the fire and died. They saw the reflection of the fire on the patio window and flew at that, too. It was like hail, they came so hard! The cat would have gotten stung had it been outside. It stayed the night, we checked the nest, and it went home, I assume:) I had to do it a couple of times, digging into the ground before spraying again, always at night. Good luck

• Jan Clark

Cicadas are amazing insects that live almost their whole lives underground. When mature, they take wing to mate. What you are hearing is their mating 'call'. They are noisy in the summer but they are harmless.