Lorraine Semla
Lorraine Semla
  • Michigan City, IN

How to get rid of scratch marks made by a large dog on a door?

DfmPattiDebbie Kuhar
+2

When trying to get rid of scratch marks made by a large dog / Gouge marks made by large dog on door are so predominate that I can't find anything to hide them. Should I sand and try to restain the door or just go buy a new one?

• Cindy Patrice

How about applying wood filler, sand, and paint.

• Nancy Turner

You could fill the scratches, sand them smooth, prep the rest of the door and paint it, that is the only way that any gouges wouldn't show like it would with stain. I doubt that you could sand enough to hide the gouges so that you could restain the door and have it look really nice. Perhaps someone else here can give you another suggestion that would work.

• Debbie Kuhar

Until you have the time to decide what you want to do, try Old English furniture polish. Comes in light and dark wood. Use very little, as it is oily.

• Patti

New doors are soo expensive. I would try to putty and sand it first. To keep it from happening again, some trainers suggest hanging a bell on the door and teach the dog to use that with positive reinforcement.
  • Dfm

You can get wood veeners to apply to the door.