Gwen Mahan Ryan
Gwen Mahan Ryan
  • Gloucester, MA

Rusty steel piers/plain ceiling need deco under our home by the sea.

Teacup8885LandsharkinncGwen Mahan Ryan

We've got 17 steel piers/columns under our home and in the 7 years since we built, they have rusted. That's normal, but I'm quite certain they could be dressed up to look more welcoming for our Airbnb guests. I'd first like to address the problem of rust (maybe even tie in the ceiling which is bare plywood) then I'd love some DIY decorative ideas to conceal the posts. I have photos to upload but I'm getting and "ERROR" message.

• Gwen Mahan Ryan

These are pics posted by the owner.
    , These are photos posted by the owner of the home
  • Landsharkinnc

be sure the supports are rust free .. pressure wash and follow with a steel brush to get them as rust free as possible; and they have to be bone dry ... I would apply a liquid Red Lead paint -- http://www.islandpaints.com/products/island-metal-primer-730-red-lead/ then come back and paint with a rust inhibiting produce in a pretty color -- a 'tropical' turquoise or island blue shade -- and paint the 'ceiling' the same color -- again being sure that it is a paint designed for outdoors -- salt air/high humidity, etc. even if it doesn't actually get 'rained' on!
  • Teacup8885

Rustolium spray paint!??