Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

What is this on my Crape Myrtle?

ClaudeRuth P. HakulinLandsharkinnc
+4

q what is this on my crape myrtle
question is what are the white things on this Crape Myrtle and how do I get rid of them? Never seen before. ** Thank you,
  • Vimarhonor

Hello Jim, I’m guessing it might be scale.

Here’s a link to some photos —to compare to what you’re seeing.

And if its scale you may want to treat the critters.

Please also remember to utilize your local cooperative extension office for any gardening, garden pest ID and weed Id and remediation problems. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.
    Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal. If the MG cant answer your question on the spot—-they often send out specimens to the local universities my office utilizes Virginia Tech for plant, insect, or disease identification.

There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped my concerns and questions many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.
    Welcome to Ask an Expert
    Ask an Expert has always offered one-to-one expert answers from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers from across the United States. The latest version expands that one-to-one relationship via the ability to make questions and answers publicly available, on an opt-in basis.
    Do an internet search ask garden expert and your state ———you'll find.......
    ”Fill out the Ask an Expert form below to submit your question. An Extension Master Gardener will reply via email within 48 hours. Please provide as much relevant detail as possible. If you attach photos, please ..

Best wishes with your management of your Crepe Myrtle problem. I hope this helps.

• Jim G

Thank you. I am going to try the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed Concentrate. (I also read for small infestations, to cut limbs with them on it, or use alcohol soaked cotton and smother them?? I'll try a little of both on different limbs to see what works fastest..... then BOTH if need be! :) actually from the reviews I think the Bayer product will work. (and a jug of alcohol is cheap and worth trying anyway.)
  • Ruth P. Hakulin

I use Neem Oil. You can buy it in the garden section. Just keep spraying daily. On a tree you can scrape it off after spraying. The spray suffocatea the bugs. I use it on my gardenina plants.
  • Claude

there are things you need to know about need before you use it. In the pest control world it is a cannon. You don’t need to apply daily. You may have to reapply after rain. Do not use it in full sun. Do not use when bees are awake. Contact when wet will kill them. Use with care. It is a naturally occurring product but then so is arsenic.