Amy
Amy
  • Mountainair, NM

How can I get the impressions off my dining chair seat

WilliamSelgneAmy
+6

The wood isn’t scratched but seems dented with impression
q how can i get the impressions off my dining chair seat
  • Paula Tisch

The only way I can think of is wood filler but that won't be pretty.
  • GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Amy, chairs are made to be that way. If you don't like it you could consider covering it up with a nice chair cushion.
  • Johnavallance82

Hi Amy, The craftsman made them that way to give the diner a more comfortable sit. Some folks add a seat cushion with ties at the back, to tie in a bow around the back spokes. You can use velcro if anyone is a wriggler.
  • Katie

Not sure if you're referring to the 'sculpted' shape of the seat or what appears to be scratches on entire seat.

• Cwh6899259

Looks like someone was sliding their behind across the seat so they could slouch on it. Do not let people do this as they break the backs of the chairs. Could be the metal studs on jean pockets that caused the marks. Only way to get rid of them is lots of sanding and re-staining. I would just leave them and ban that person from sitting in them.

• 9530106

Those are scratches, fortunately they haven't went through the finish. I agree, probably some embellishments on someone's jeans. You could try putting down a towel, and using a steam iron. I have had good results. Be patient with the process.

• Amy

Thank you all for the ideas. I appreciate your taking time to comment!

• Selgne

You might want to try a process called compounding. My late husband used to refinish furniture and didn't want to destroy value on old pieces. It is a kind of wax in a can. He would apply it and continue to rub with a soft rag until the impression or even "crazing" disappeared and ended up with a like-new finish.

What you can try is a damp cloth over the dents and an iron set on low. May just raise the grain.